2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
The mantelpiece is an additional component of many hearths. Various items and accessories are used to decorate it. In appearance, such structures are almost indistinguishable from ordinary shelves fixed on the walls.
There are several types of fireplace shelves, the differences lie in the material of manufacture and the method of placement. In addition to the decorative function, such structures prevent soot contamination of the walls, prevent ash from settling on the floor next to the hearth .
Mantels keep the heat from spreading, thereby reducing the likelihood of fires and burns.
Not only decorative gizmos are stored on the shelves, but also the equipment that is required to maintain the flame in the hearth.
Many homeowners decide to buy an electric fireplace with drawers and shelves, which becomes an interior decoration.
Homes are equipped with TV shelves and niches for firewood.
The options look original, which are a portal with bookshelves on the sides.
Most often, an addition in the form of shelves is placed in the upper part of the hearth directly above the firebox . Real and artificial flowers, photo frames, candlesticks are used as decorative elements. Decorations for a decorative shelf are selected in accordance with the style in which the room is decorated.
Hearths with shelves placed at the bottom are more functional. Usually such constructions are used to store useful items . On the lower shelf, you can put chopped wood, a set of equipment with which you can take care of the heating unit.
On the shelves, fixed on the side, in most cases, books are placed, giving the hearth massiveness and respectability. Fireplaces with columns, plaster patterns, stucco work look very impressive .
There are two options for attaching the purchased shelf: installation directly on the fireplace structure and location on the supports . The method of integration into the overall design is optimal for products made of heavy material, due to their massiveness. They create a large load on the structure support; it is impossible to use nails or screws for fastening.
If the hearth is equipped with a stone shelf, then you need to buy it before the construction of the structure . Wooden shelves are combined with the fireplace base through special supports and fixing mechanisms. Since you can easily drive a nail or screw in a self-tapping screw into such material, you don't have to worry that the tabletop will come off. Supports are usually wooden blades integrated into the structure.
They are made not only of wood, but also of metal; side columns often perform the supporting function.
According to the material of manufacture, there are 3 main types of mantels:
Wood structures are most in demand. This is an environmentally friendly material, products based on it look presentable . A wooden shelf can be made from either a cheap type of wood or an elite one. Correctly selected and processed wood lasts a long time, while maintaining a beautiful appearance.
Inexpensive options include plaster fireplace shelves. Among the advantages of this material are environmental friendliness, strength and low weight . With the help of gypsum, you can achieve imitation of granite, wood, marble. For vintage and industrial designs, plaster shelves are artificially aged.
The most expensive are stone shelves . Products based on marble and granite look beautiful, they are durable, massive, and are distinguished by increased fire resistance. It's easy to look after them.
Mantelpieces are made not only from natural, but also from artificial stone . It is a more affordable material with a variety of colors and textures. Artificial stone products are perfectly integrated into the classic design direction, high-tech, country styles.
Home shelves are also made from drywall, concrete and plastic .… When choosing a material, they are guided by individual wishes and style, in which the interior of the room with a fireplace is sustained. If possible, you can consult with the designer.
Thanks to the shelf, the image of the hearth can be made more memorable. With the help of this detail, they emphasize the configuration and other features of the unit that heats the room . If you need to diversify the design of the portal, mounting the shelf will be the best solution. You can put an art canvas, a large clock or a mirror on it. Volumetric decor will draw attention to itself.
To decorate a fireplace area beautifully, you need to adhere to certain rules. Compliance with a number of regulations will allow you to create an exclusive home decor with a shelf.
You can use some recommendations
- Use large items to transform the shelf . It can be a plasma TV or a large painting framed by a finely carved frame. For decorative purposes, you can also use an antique mirror with an unusual configuration.
- Compact items, such as statues, are also used to decorate the shelves . The design made of one material looks especially presentable: ceramic, glass, metal.
- If the shelves are located to the right and left of the hearth , it is recommended to decorate them in the same style and with similar items. This approach will allow you to achieve harmony.
- Decorate the hearth so that each item is advantageously combined with the fireplace itself , and with the interior of the room. For example, in the classical direction, it is recommended to use laconic and rich objects - frames with photographs, candlesticks.
- You can give the mantel an original look with the help of accessories made with your own hands . Hand-made items are an exclusive decoration. To make them, use cardboard, paper, beads, beads, wood, metal.
- If the shelves are located both on the sides and in the center of the hearth or above the firebox , do not clutter them with unnecessary items. Such decor will create a congested effect. It is better to place one bulky accessory above the center of the main shelf. Such objects can be a mirror or a watch. In this case, 2 identical small accessories are placed on the right and left, for example, candlesticks.
- Flowers can also be used to transform the shelf next to the fireplace . Preference should be given to thermophilic plants, otherwise they will quickly fade from the heat coming from the hearth. You can decorate the shelf with both fresh flowers and dried flowers, unusual wreaths. The main thing is to place jewelry outside the reach of the flame.
- Souvenirs brought from travels to other cities and countries are often placed on the shelves located next to the hearth . Souvenir products can be combined with framed photographs, figurines. Some use small toys to decorate panels.
- Portals with shelves decorated with wire look original . From it, lattices are created, painted in different colors. Framed pictures, placed on a shelf at the top of the hearth, go well with this design.
- When used as a decoration, mirrors can be placed on the walls in addition to the shelf . This is a great solution for a bedroom interior.
The appearance of the fireplace area depends both on the type of accessories chosen for decorating the shelf, and on the material from which it is made.
Examples in the interior
You can make the living room atmosphere more comfortable with a fireplace equipped with front and side shelves
The mantelpiece made of plaster looks laconic
A fireplace shelf made of wood is a classic solution
A corner fireplace with a shelf on which there is a vase of flowers will decorate the interior of the living room
The fireplace area, decorated with stone and complemented by an unusual shelf, gives the bedroom an original look
The decor of the mantels should be harmonious. When choosing accessories, be sure to take into account the peculiarities of the style in which the interior of the room where the hearth is located is sustained.
Furniture Made Of Epoxy Resin (51 Photos): Kitchen Facades Made Of Wood And Epoxy, A Chair And Doors, A Window Sill And A Bar Counter, Shelves And Other Products Made Of Furniture Epoxy
Furniture made of epoxy resin is a new development of designers, which has high decorative and technical characteristics. Features of these structures. What types of polymer furniture are there? Design options for kitchen facades made of wood and epoxy, chairs, doors, window sills. Bar counter made of polymer. Decor of products. Beautiful examples
Fireplace Decoration (49 Photos): DIY Decoration And Decor, How To Decorate A Fireplace Area With Decorative Stucco
You can make a fireplace with your own hands at home. What can be the decoration and decor of a fireplace with your own hands? How to decorate a fireplace area in a private house and apartment with decorative stucco molding?
Sliding Wardrobe Made Of Solid Wood (65 Photos): Wooden Made Of Pine And Natural Oak, Built Into The Hallway Made Of Veneer And Bleached Wood
Solid wood sliding wardrobe is not only functional, but also a luxurious piece of furniture. What are the characteristics of the pine and natural oak model? How to find the perfect option for your home? What colors of natural wood look impressive?
Plywood Shelves (47 Photos): How To Do It Yourself? Shelves For Typewriters And Shoes, Corner And Book Shelves On The Wall, Shelves-animals And Other Types, Drawings And Manufacturing
What you need to know about plywood shelves, how to make them yourself? What you need to know about typewriter and shoe shelves, corner and book shelves on the wall? What are some examples of such crafts?
Decorative Boards (39 Photos): Unedged On The Wall In The Interior And Edged Finishing Board Made Of Wood For Interior Decoration
Everything about decorative boards. Features and descriptions of species. Design options. How are edged and unedged varieties used when decorating a room? What interior styles do they suit?