2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
A photo frame is a decorative element that you can make yourself, it will turn out even more interesting than a store purchase. Moreover, there are practically no boundaries in the choice of materials. As soon as a successful work comes out from under his own hands, he will certainly pull to make something else. Fortunately, all this can be done quickly at home.
Making a paper frame
Such a beautiful and affordable option is an openwork paper frame. Children from 8-9 years old and older can make it with their own hands. Required list:
- 2 or 3 thick sheets of paper and 1 sheet of standard A4 office paper;
- stationery knife;
- Double-sided tape;
- scissors with sharp tips;
- colored self-adhesive paper;
- any decoration to your taste.
The manufacturing algorithm is simple
- Initially, you need to find a suitable openwork sketch for subsequent cutting. This will be exactly cut-through. This sketch needs to be printed on a regular A4 sheet. Fragments for each layer should be marked somehow - it is more convenient to do this with multi-colored pens. These fragments will be fixed at a certain distance from each other.
- Each layer is transferred to a dense sheet according to the template. This can be done with a carbon copy or in the old way - through glass.
- Now each element is laid on a hard surface, cut out with a clerical knife.
- Double-sided tape is glued to the wrong side of each layer. The thickness of this adhesive tape will determine how far the layers will be from each other. Sometimes it is worth sticking another strip of tape to make the volume more pronounced.
- The layers must be glued to the base in stages. It can be thick cardboard or designer cardboard, foamiran. In the same place, you need to create a loop for hanging the product or a leg so that it stands.
- After all the layers are glued, you can estimate the volume of the resulting craft. Decorating options are varied. You can take sequins and rhinestones, braid, lace, thin satin ribbons. You can simply initially use not white paper for layers, but multi-colored paper. Or paint it yourself with watercolors. Or you can decorate with glitter hairspray.
And this, of course, is not the only way to use paper. From small works using the origami technique, you can make a prefab, also a volumetric frame. Quilling is an excellent technology for the most delicate, openwork frame . And if you print out the pages of an old book on ordinary sheets (stylization), you can subsequently soak them in coffee, and paste over a cardboard blank with them, cover with colorless varnish - there will be a wonderful retro frame.
How to make from cardboard?
Cardboard is a more durable material than paper. And finding it is usually not a problem. You can make a wonderful frame for photos on a dresser, cabinet, shelf, wall, etc. in one evening. What to take for work:
- 2 cardboard blanks with dimensions that are larger than the photograph by 4 cm of all its edges;
- 3 cardboard elements, which will be equal to the side parts and the bottom edge, and the width of these elements is half a centimeter less than the frame with a recess for the picture;
- cardboard rectangle for creating a leg - 30 by 5 cm;
- stationery knife;
- glue gun;
- beautiful decorative napkins;
- PVA glue;
- acrylic paints.
The work progress is presented below
- First, the blank itself is made under the frame made of cardboard according to the specified dimensions, the core is carefully cut out with a knife.
- The bottom wall and the side ones are applied to the second cardboard blank, they are glued and thicken the craft.
- A blank with a cut hole is glued on three sides. The snapshot itself will subsequently be inserted through the upper slot.
- The blank for the leg is folded into a house with three edges. The ends are glued together. The leg is glued to the wrong side of the frame.
- Napkins must be torn into strips, applied individually crumpled, glue PVA. First, the end faces are processed, then you need to move to the middle. And the reverse frame side is also decorated.
- The napkins are delicately tucked into the groove where the picture will be inserted later.
- After the glue is completely dry, the frame is painted with black acrylic paint. In hard-to-reach places, painting is done with a thin brush.
- After the paint has dried, you need to go over the frame with mother-of-pearl enamel. Small strokes are made with a dry brush on irregularities.
- You need to fix the painted with transparent varnish.
Once the frame is dry, you can use it to insert children's or family photos inside.
Making a photo frame from wood
The wooden photo frame looks even more solid. Moreover, you do not always have to go to the building market for material - the original frames are made from branches. But the finished planks, of course, look great. Materials and tools:
- wooden planks of any size (according to the author's taste);
- PVA glue (but carpentry is also suitable);
- hammer, carnations;
- a wooden block wrapped with sandpaper.
Making a wooden photo frame yourself is easy
- It is necessary to prepare 4 strips with grooves in the connection zones. These planks should be well sanded.
- Glue is applied to the grooves of two strips, then they are folded in the form of a frame, small carnations are nailed.
- A blowtorch should be used to process the joints and end faces. This type of work is recommended to be performed outdoors.
- The front side of the photo frame is also processed with a blowtorch.
- Now we need to take the glass and make markings on it for the future photo. According to this marking, glass is cut out for an almost finished product. Sections are fixed with sandpaper, which is fixed to a wooden block.
- The glass on the back is attached with self-tapping screws. And so that the frame hangs securely on the wall, the twine is fixed in the right place.
- The finished frame can be stained or varnished.
The twig frame can be even prettier . The easiest way to make it is a cardboard dense base, to which the same base will be attached, only with a cut out core (as in the example above). Prepared branches are fixed to the side and horizontal cardboard edges of the frame with hot glue. They should be approximately the same diameter and length. If the production of the frame is timed to coincide with the New Year, the branches can be made snow-covered (ordinary salt will help, with which the base of the branches is sprinkled on glue).
It is easier to make a stand (leg) for the frame in cardboard, with a triangle - it will be more stable. If the frame is hinged, you need to make a loop: it can be made of twine, knitted, sewn from linen, for example. Frames with twigs in one composition look great - two frames of different sizes and a candle, framed by the same "twig" handmade candlestick.
How to make from other materials?
Paper, cardboard, wood are probably the most popular materials for making photo frames, but, of course, they are far from the only ones. In the same home conditions, you can quickly make beautiful homemade frames from scrap materials. Some photographers, to promote their own services, for example, give the client such self-made frames along with the result of the photo shoot. Creative ideas:
- felt - comfortable material that does not need processing of edges, and photo frames from it are soft, cozy, warm;
- seashells - shells and memorable photos were brought from the sea, everything can be combined in one composition, thick thick cardboard will become the basis of the frame;
- collage - from a glossy magazine (or rather its pages), from thematic pictures selected on the Internet, you can make a collage that will be glued to a cardboard base;
- scrapbooking - more than just a technique, graceful decoration touches everything from notebooks to postcards, and does not bypass frames;
- from wallpaper - such a frame will turn out to be interesting, if the room has partner wallpaper, then in the area where, for example, white wallpaper is pasted, there will be a frame of neighboring blue wallpaper;
- plaster - even ready-made creative kits for such work are sold;
- from dried plants - however, they will have to be poured with epoxy, which not everyone will succeed in, but they find a way out here too, they simply laminate a composition of flowers, thin branches, leaves, etc.
Any material can become an inspiration for making an unusual photo frame, or even a whole photo zone.
From ceiling tiles
If the square of the ceiling tile remains, then with the help of a simple master class it can become the material for the frame. What to take for work:
- trimming tiles (patterned, laminated is perfect);
- a knife or a medical scalpel;
- heart templates of arbitrary sizes;
- paints and acrylic contour;
- felt-tip pen;
Let's consider the process of work
- On the back of the tile with a dark felt-tip pen, you need to circle the templates of the parts, and then carefully cut them along the contour.
- In the center of the large heart, carefully cut out a small one.
- To assemble the photo frame into one whole, you need to cut off the lower end of the large heart, cut a slit in the center of the stand to the size of this remote end.
- And now it's time to paint the base without disturbing the texture of the material. You can put dots on already painted and dried hearts with a contour.
- Frame parts need to be glued with special tile glue.
That's all, you can insert a photo - the scheme is very simple!
From the plinth
And this material is an excellent basis not only for a photo frame, but also for a decent framing of paintings. What to take for the craft:
- ceiling plinth;
- miter box;
- hacksaw for metal;
- PVA glue or hot glue;
- acrylic paints (only on water);
Next, we act according to a certain scheme
- The first corner of the plinth is sawn off at 45 degrees using a miter box.
- The plinth is applied to the desired picture, and you need to measure it so that the length is 5-7 mm less than the length of the picture itself.
- The second corner is sawn off.
- Following the sample of the first part, the second is sawn off in the same way.
- All sawn-off parts are glued together with hot glue into one craft. An overlap painting (or photograph) is placed on the frame, 2-3 mm on each side.
- Now the frame needs to be painted with acrylic, any colors: gray, black, bronze, silver.
- In the foam, slots are made at the corner of the frame, a rubber band is immersed in the slot and filled with hot glue. You will get reliable fasteners. But you can attach the frame to the picture with PVA glue.
Few people will guess that this is not a heavy bronze frame, but an ordinary transformed skirting board.
From knitting threads
Everything is very simple here. A base is cut out of cardboard. And then the threads are taken, which will tightly envelop this base. It can be wrapped strictly horizontally or with an inclination. You can take threads of the same color or different ones, you get a frame with transitions . But such a craft still requires additional decoration. To do this, you can take buttons, flowers cut from felt, rhinestones and other decor. A child can cope with such a craft.
For an eco-style or boho-eco-style interior, the frames are wrapped in natural flax-colored threads, twine. It looks natural and is an interior color combination.
From a glossy magazine
You yourself can create a catchy frame from sheets of glossy magazines. It will work in the technology of newspaper (in this case, magazine) tubes. For work, you need to take:
- the magazines themselves (torn sheets);
- glue stick;
- a knitting needle or a thin wooden skewer;
- wooden blank for the frame;
- PVA glue.
We follow the points below
- It is necessary to cut pages from magazines, they should be square, about 20 by 20 cm.
- With an ordinary knitting needle, twist the blanks into thin tubes, fasten at the end of each using a regular glue stick.
- PVA glue must be applied to one side of the wooden blank. Glue twisted magazine tubes neatly, tightly in a row. The excess edges are simply cut off.
- The other sides of the frame are decorated in the same way.
This is a great option for making a photo frame from available tools if you need to frame a small picture. Children especially like these crafts.
And from the discs you can make a frame with a mosaic effect. It's simple and at the same time quite original. Not a bad and affordable option for a girl's room. What will come in handy in your work:
- unnecessary disks;
- PVA glue;
- black stained glass paint (other colors - at the request of the author);
- cardboard of sufficient density;
- Ruler and pencil.
Let's get started
- Draw a frame on thick cardboard and cut it out. The dimensions must correspond to the photo to be inserted inside.
- Now with sharp scissors you need to cut the discs into pieces of irregular shape.
- The cardboard base for the frame is abundantly greased with PVA glue, and pieces of discs are glued to the greased space. You need to spread them delicately using tweezers. A small space between the fragments of the discs must be left, it will subsequently be filled with paint.
- After the entire space is sealed, the frame needs at least 2 hours to dry.
- Next, black paint is taken for stained glass painting (tubes with a narrow spout), with its help it will be easy to fill in the gaps specially left for this with paint. The edges of the frame also need to be painted over.
- It remains to dry the frame and you can use it.
Not everyone likes the paint option. In this case, the pieces of disks must be glued close to each other, without a single gap, you get a craft with a mirror glow. Its surface can be treated with silver glitter hairspray - the effect will only intensify.
Another great material for creativity is salty dough. And a photo frame from it can also be made together with the guys. This is not always convenient for large works, but it is a great option for framing small pictures. It is necessary to prepare for work directly the salty dough itself, made according to any recipe, stacks, brushes and paint. . Let's consider the procedure .
- The salted dough must be rolled out into a sheet, the thickness of which is half a centimeter. A piece of cardboard 10 by 15 cm is then applied to the dough, surrounded by a stack so that a hole is obtained. The margins of the frame will be 3 cm wide. All excess must be cut off.
- Then the dough is rolled out, already 0.3 cm thick. Strips of 1 cm are cut from it. Each strip is cut from the desired side at an angle of 45 degrees. This is how the border is made to fit the frame. It is glued to the frame.
- Now you can cut out any decorative element from the rolled dough, for example, a butterfly. It is fixed in the corner of the frame. The more reliable the butterfly is made, the better the work. You need to pay attention not only to the wings, but also to the butterfly's body, head, antennae, etc.
- The lower corners of the frame also require decorative filling. These can be leaves and flowers of any shape. Be sure to stand out in them cores, petals, veins, so that the work acquires beautiful details. Then you can cut out small berries separately, which will fit beautifully at the bottom of the frame or on one of its vertical slats.
- If you make a sausage from dough and moisten it with water, you get a snail, which can also find a place on the frame. All other "heroes" of the work are arbitrary - a ladybug, spikelets, various floristic motives are performed at the request of the author.
- When all this is ready, paints are taken to work. It is necessary to decide in advance in what colors the work will be done.
It remains only to send the frame to the oven to bake. The cooled frame can be used for its intended purpose.
These works suggest that you can expand your ideas about arts and crafts, accessible to everyone. Instead of an hour of idleness watching TV, you can turn on an interesting audiobook, a podcast, and from the simplest means make elegant photo frames worthy of universal compliments. For example, such as these .
An excellent example of work from what was accumulated for a long time but still could not find application. Cork framing is a great option for a photo that will decorate the kitchen
Lovers of knitting may find this idea interesting: the frames look delicate, graceful and look especially bright in a composition of several crafts
Another very delicate frame made of shells and pearls. The nuance is that all this is painted white
A neat craft made of coarse knitting threads. Its peculiarity is in light side roses. They can be rolled out of felt or other similar fabric. It is done quickly, and the result pleases for a long time
Not only tubes can be weaved from newspapers, but also such beautiful rings, which are subsequently glued to a dense base. It is unlikely that such a frame will go unnoticed. For lovers of fine painstaking work - another challenge
Frames made of natural materials always look especially cozy in the house. And if it's also part of the seasonal decor, the owners will receive praise on a regular basis. It is worth taking the caps of acorns and sticking them on a cardboard base, you get such a cute craft. The atmosphere of an autumn park right in the house
And here is what a simple but charming frame made of thick felt looks like on a crossbar. A good idea for a children's room: maybe even for a door to clearly indicate who lives there
This is a button pendant. But it can quite itself become the basis of a photo frame for a small memorable picture. Traditionally, the substrate can be made of thick cardboard
And this example is for those who draw the most inspiration from natural materials. For example, he likes nutshells, which are so beautifully painted with golden paint. And this will be a unique frame both for such a composition and for a photograph
Thick colored paper (design is possible), the principle of volumetric applique, cut out leaves and other plant elements - and a wonderful seasonal photo frame is ready
Inspiration and creative enjoyment!
Photo Frames (67 Photos): Round And Square Frames For Photos, Levitating And Magnetic Decorative Frames, Glass And Metal, Others
What are photo frames besides round and square photo frames? What is so special about levitating and magnetic decorative frames? What materials are photographic frames made of, what kind of decor are they decorating? How to choose a beautiful photo frame and where is it better to place it?
White Frames For Photos (20 Photos): Black And White Wall Photo Frames Of Round And Other Shapes, White Frames For Large And Small Sizes
White photo frames are suitable for different styles: minimalism, classic - they add comfort and freshness to the interior. Round black and white wall photo frames are ideal for vintage monochrome shots to create a unique setting. Frames come in different sizes, the most popular of them is 10x15 cm, about it, as well as about other photo frames, see the article
Elite photo frames and their features. Varieties: exclusive, designer, classic, frames made of wood and other materials. Matching photos and frames in style. How to make a collage and place framed pictures correctly? Examples of luxury products
Double frames for photos in the interior - where and how best to place? Glass photo frames for 2 images and models from other materials - what to look for when choosing?
Polyurethane Skirting Board (37 Photos): Installation On Glue And Painting. How To Cut A Flexible Skirting Board To The Ceiling? Skirting Boards For Stairs And Walls In The Interior
Polyurethane skirting boards are often used. How is glue mounting and painting carried out? How to cut a flexible skirting board to the ceiling?