2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
The fireplace creates a unique atmosphere in the room. Recently, he began to perform not only heating, but also a decorative function. In modern houses, fireplaces with glass are most often installed. They look stylish and allow you to admire the fire in safety, creating a damper for sparks and oxygen flow.
The fireplace stove is made of heat-resistant materials: heat-resistant glass and a metal frame. The latest models are made entirely of glass. Due to this, you can admire the fire from all sides of the fireplace and install it in the center of the room. The main requirements for it are compliance with the necessary safety standards and functionality. Glass doors serve a number of functions.
Let's consider the main parameters
- Safe observation of the fire (a transparent shutter reliably protects the room from flying sparks and embers).
- Blocking the spread of the smell that is emitted as a result of fuel combustion (the built-in system of blowing the windows from the inside contributes to the performance of this function).
- Isolation of noise from burning fuel (this function is relevant in rooms where you need to maintain silence, for example, in the bedroom).
- Increased heat transfer (due to open doors, the thrust becomes stronger, the amount of heat increases).
Advantages and disadvantages
The scheme of work of fireplaces with glass has advantages and disadvantages. Consider the positives .
- Economy and compactness. A small firebox is able to provide sufficient heating while using a minimum amount of fuel.
- Environmental friendliness. The glass fireplace system provides control over the burning of firewood, as well as re-burning of unused fuel. The release of toxic gas is minimal.
- Small dimensions of the heating device, which does not affect the quality of protection against cold.
- Simple operation. You do not need to have special knowledge and skills to use a glass fireplace (the system is simplified as much as possible).
- Nice appearance. This fireplace looks impressive in any interior.
Fireplaces with glass have disadvantages
- A glass fireplace is an expensive construction. To equip and connect it, additional costs will be required.
- Constant care of glass is necessary, which can be covered with a layer of dust or soot. However, many modern models are equipped with a glass blowing system from the inside, which prevents soot from accumulating and settling.
Types of structures
The fireplace can be made from different materials in different designs. The glass door may have additional decorations. The main thing is that it meets its main functions. Its standard construction includes a metal frame and glass unit. To connect them, use special loops and a hermetic seal.
A shutter mechanism is used as additional elements ., a handle, ventilation holes for oxygen and curtains that control its flow. The door size may vary. It depends on the entire fireplace stove. Its maximum width is 20 cm, the minimum is 15 cm, the height can vary from 80 to 120 cm. The opening mechanism can be lifting or sliding.
Fireproof glass can also be installed on a wood-burning fireplace. During its installation, all safety measures must be observed. However, during the operation of such a structure, soot and ash will constantly form on the glass, therefore such a structure is quite rare.
A glass fireplace can be of three types:
- with thickened doors (3 glasses);
- with flat doors (1 glass);
- circular (glass surrounds the structure on all sides, which allows it to be installed in the center of the room).
There are combined models, for example, a cast-iron fireplace with heat-resistant glass. The stove can be supplemented with forging or casting, glass can be tinted, laminated, stained glass or mosaic. A glass fireplace can operate on different fuels. Depending on this, two types of construction are distinguished: gas and biofireplaces.
For the operation of the gas variety, gas (propane-butane) is used . It is arranged in such a way that the container for fuel is inside, only a ceramic imitation of charred wood is visible to others. Such a fireplace is switched on and off remotely. Using a special remote control, you can control the strength of the flame. Due to its plant origin, when burning, the fuel does not emit harmful substances into the air, which makes it possible to install such a structure in any premises. The hood is not required in this case. Biofireplace can be of three types, consider the nuances of each.
For this model, you need to provide a niche in the wall in advance. It makes no difference whether it is a carrier or not. The weight of such a fireplace is small, its frame does not heat up, so a fire is excluded. Suspended structures stand out as a separate subspecies. They can only be installed on a load-bearing wall.
It can be installed in the floor or it can be a portable structure. The stationary model is installed in a niche. The second option can be carried over as needed. It can be used, for example, to divide a room into separate functional areas.
This category includes small fireplaces that can be moved from place to place. A fireplace like this produces enough heat and light to read a book nearby or keep warm. It is suitable for any interior.
Nowadays, glass fireplaces are quite popular. Only doors can be made of glass, or almost the entire structure can be made. Glass must be fireproof, performing the functions that steel used to perform. The main one is to protect the premises from fire.
The oven glass has advanced features. This effect is achieved by heating the material to high temperatures and then quenching it. Tempered glass is very durable, it is called "stalinite"
Tempered glass can be of different types depending on its characteristics.
Let's note the main ones
- Thermal expansion when heated. On contact with high temperatures, it expands 30 times less than other types of glass. Expansion rates may vary.
- The glass must be heat resistant, high temperature resistant. Heat resistance values vary within 500 - 1000 degrees C, depending on the model of the fireplace.
- For ovens, glass of a certain thickness (from 4 mm) must be used. For heavier and larger furnaces, thicker glass is used.
Durability also matters. This indicator is determined by the temperature that is maintained in the hearth. At 500, the service life of tempered glass can be several thousand hours, at 700 degrees C - no more than 100 hours. To increase the number of hours, the hearth should not be overloaded with firewood; conditions must be created for the maximum possible traction. In addition, heat-resistant glass has several varieties.
When broken, such a protective glass does not crumble into small fragments, but hangs on the film. This makes it especially safe to use and relevant in homes with small children.
It is more pleasant to look at the fire through doors with such thermal glass, it does not irritate the eyes, looks expensive and fits almost any interior.
It has an exclusively decorative function. The fireplace with colored glass looks original and can make the interior interesting and memorable. Structures with panoramic glazing look especially beautiful. In addition to color, glass can have a relief.
This glass does not accumulate soot and soot. This latest development involves coating the glass from the inside with a special substance (metal oxide). Due to this, the soot burns out without a trace.
Glass fireplaces in the interior often pursue an exclusively decorative purpose. They do not have a chimney, do not emit smoke, therefore they are suitable for installation in any room. The design of a fireplace directly depends on the room in which it will be installed, as well as the style and availability of free space. Usually it is chosen to complement high-tech, grunge, loft directions. A glass fireplace is considered a neutral object, it will look equally good in any room style.
The fireplace can be equipped with additional decorations: forging, carving . Glasses can have different colors and reliefs. Usually a glass fireplace is made in the form of a geometric figure. It can be simple (square, rectangular) or complex (multifaceted). At the same time, a glass fireplace can be completely transparent on one, two, three or four sides. The round model with panoramic glazing is very popular.
One of the original solutions is a fireplace-table. Use it as a dining table with a fire hole in the middle. The firebox is fenced with glass on all sides. The hearth can be covered with a special lid on top: the fire will burn inside the structure.
Recently, it has become popular to install glass doors on the sauna stove. Due to this, smoke does not go into the room, and heating takes less time. The fireplace can be large or mini, which can be placed on the floor or table as needed. The original solution is the allocation of an entire wall under a large hearth. It looks especially impressive.
Tips for use and care
A glass fireplace is effortless to maintain. The modern design of bio-models is equipped with a system of burning all fuel without residue. It is enough to dust off the surface from time to time. Gas fireplaces or wood-burning fireplaces with glass doors will require more maintenance. The main problem during operation is to wash off the soot and soot.
It is formed for several reasons
- If the fireplace is gas-fired, the reason may be the wrong amount of fuel in relation to the incoming air. It is necessary to check whether the burner is clogged, whether the nozzles (gas supply holes) are in the correct position.
- If the model runs on propane-butane, the gas supply to the air may be disrupted, the gas itself may be of poor quality. It is necessary to make sure that the nozzles, burner, fuel tank are in good working order and, if necessary, replace them.
- If it is necessary to install glass doors on a wood-burning fireplace, soot cannot be avoided. To minimize this, you need to keep the valves open, regularly clean the outlet pipe. It is better not to use coniferous wood as fuel: during its combustion, a large amount of soot is formed, the presence of resin makes it difficult to clean the glass.
Cleaning the glass screen is easy. To do this, you can use special detergents for cleaning glass fireplaces. The shops offer a wide range of different products. Most often it is produced in the form of sprays or pastes that are applied to glass and then removed with a sponge. Later, clean glass is polished with a dry cloth.
If you need to clean the fireplace, but there is no way to buy the product in the store, you can use ash. It needs to be wetted, then with the help of a newspaper, treat the contaminated sashes with it, and then rinse with water. You can make a special liquid for cleaning carbon deposits with your own hands. This will require water and vinegar in a 1: 1 ratio.
Glass doors must be removed from the fireplace and laid out on the floor . Using a spray bottle, the solution is sprayed generously on them. When the liquid is dry, the glass must be wiped dry with dry newspapers. If your fireplace is equipped with fixed hinges, the doors are treated with napkins soaked in solution.
It is best to clean the fireplace after each use. This will prevent soot from accumulating. To prevent the glass from smoking in a wood-burning fireplace, it is better to use a dry and clean wood for lighting. During operation, you can use a special technique: leave a narrow gap on top of the glass. The air flow creates a soot barrier. To keep the glass transparent, solid soap can be applied to the fireplace after use and cleaning. The effect will appear with its subsequent use.
Beautiful examples in the interior
Glass fireplace is a unique interior decoration.
- It can be harmoniously integrated into an ultra-modern interior and a classic one.
- A different style can be created thanks to decorations and additional elements (for example, due to a forged lattice, stucco molding, inserts from various materials).
- The original screen will create an additional safety flap and make the design unique.
Cast Iron Fireplaces (49 Photos): Long Burning Stove, Wood Stove For Summer Cottages And Country Houses
Cast iron fireplaces are an excellent option for heating a room. A potbelly stove of long burning can become not only a heating device, but also a decoration of the room. How to choose a wood stove for a summer residence and a country house?
Fireplace Accessories (34 Photos): Stove Accessories, Beautiful Cast Iron And Brass Options, How To Do It Yourself
Fireplace accessories should be beautiful and of high quality. What stove accessories to choose? What beautiful cast iron and brass options to choose for the home? How to make accessories yourself?
Fireplace Stove (85 Photos): Barbecue With A Heat Exchanger And A Fireplace Stove With A Hob In The Interior, Installation Of Finnish Structures
The fireplace stove is a very popular functional unit. In what environment should you set up a barbecue with a heat exchanger and a hob in the interior? What are the advantages of a stove with a stove bench? How does it look in the interior? Why is the installation of Finnish structures good?
Cast Iron Benches: Types Of Garden Benches, Sides And Legs, Cast Iron Supports And Bases, Outdoor Benches For Giving Without An Armrest And Other Models
What are cast iron benches? What types of garden benches, sides and legs are there? What can you say about cast iron supports and bases, what other subtleties deserve attention? How to choose outdoor benches for a summer residence without an armrest and other models?
Cast Iron Brazier: A Structure Made Of Cast Iron And A Barbecue, Products For The Summer Residence Of The Balezinsky Plant, A Device With A Roof
What are the benefits of cast iron barbecues? What is the difference between cast iron and barbecue construction? Are products for the summer residence of the Balezinsky plant in demand? Let's talk in the article