2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
Not many can afford to spend a cozy evening basking by the fireplace. But it is quite possible to make a small false fireplace with your own hands, this will make it possible to make the dream of a home hearth come true. Even an ordinary person without skills can independently make a product out of cardboard; one should only take into account the recommendations for the manufacture of this product.
In private households, a fireplace is often installed. Such a product is usually located in the central part of the house. Such an original model will decorate any room, its installation will contribute to the creation of a comfortable atmosphere. Products decorated with bright garlands, toys and candles for the New Year or Christmas holidays look especially interesting. A fireplace in a home in many countries is considered an item symbolizing happiness in the family.
It is difficult to install a real fireplace in modern apartments ., therefore, to make a dream come true, you can make a product out of cardboard yourself, besides, in its beauty, a false fireplace will not yield to a real object. You can build and deliver a cardboard product in any, even the smallest room.
A decorative fireplace, of course, will attract the attention of visitors, so it should be placed in the most convenient place for this for better viewing. The product will look very organic, especially if you install it between the windows.
Often, decorative items are installed in common rooms, such as living rooms, dining rooms; fireplaces in the bedroom will look no less organic. When making them, it should be understood that this product must fit the general style of the room. Such designs are unlikely to be appropriate in high-tech or modern rooms.
A handmade fireplace should complement the already created design ., contribute to the improvement of the chosen style. In the process of making and decorating, you can create unique designs and come up with unusual attributes.
It is unlikely that it will be possible to make a fire in a decorative fireplace, its task is only a decorative function. To make the flame more realistic, instead of a regular fire, you can put candles deep into the fireplace or connect an electric garland. False fireplaces made of cardboard practically do not differ from real products made of bricks.
Advantages of cardboard false fireplaces:
- products have a very original and beautiful appearance;
- able to add sophistication to the room;
- they are placed in any place convenient for this;
- the construction of such structures with your own hands can make it possible to feel like an experienced designer;
- to build such a fireplace does not require large material expenditures;
- the ability to quickly disassemble such a product if necessary.
The disadvantages of these designs include:
- The unreliability of the structure. For the manufacture of products, soft materials are taken, such as cardboard, paper, therefore, over time, the product may deform.
- It is impossible to make a real fire in false fireplaces, therefore such a product will have only a decorative function and will not create warmth in the room.
- For the construction of the structure, you should spend several days making and decorating it.
Style and design
Before starting work on the manufacture of a cardboard structure, it is worth carrying out preparatory work. You should decide on the place of installation of the product. For this, a wall without furniture or a corner of a room is more suitable. To determine the size of the structure, it is worth calculating it right at the installation site. A model or a dummy for a future building will allow you to determine the size of the product and choose a decor for it.
DIY fireplace can be made in any size , choosing the optimal length and width for this, while taking into account the style of the room. A false fireplace should harmoniously fit into the interior of any room. Do not allow the product to clutter up most of the room or not harmonize with the furniture. In addition, you should take into account the size of the product and not make it too small if there is bulky furniture in the room. The fireplace should complement the overall picture and make the room more interesting, and not drown it out or introduce dissonance.
When choosing a finish for a product, it is important to consider that it should be decorated most carefully, otherwise flaws may remain, which will reduce the effect of the work done. To end up with an interesting and original product, you can get unusual and interesting ideas from experienced designers or design a fireplace based on your preferences.
Required tools and accessories
When making a structure from cardboard with your own hands, you need to prepare working tools and materials that you may need in the process.
It is good if at home there is a large cardboard box for office equipment or furniture. It will be enough for the production of the conceived model. If there is no large box, then you can take smaller shoe boxes for work. If you don't store unnecessary things at home, you can just buy boxes. An interesting model of a fireplace can be made from mailboxes for parcels.
In addition to the boxes, you should prepare:
- stationery knife;
- PVA glue and any assembly glue for working with decorative elements;
- masking, double-sided and ordinary scotch tape;
- water-based paint.
In addition to the basic tools, you will also need additional ones that can be used both in the process of work and when decorating the product:
- paper napkins;
- foam tiles;
- different types of paints;
- simple or decorative wallpaper.
During work, sponges and dry rags will be useful. For decoration, you can purchase various details, such as moldings, columns, stucco products. All these materials and decorative items can be purchased at a hardware and office supply store.
To make the fireplace look like a real one, for the construction of an imitation of fire, it is necessary to spread the wood, placing a device with blinking lights under it. Thanks to such illumination, the impression will be created that a real fireplace is burning in the room.
In addition, you can build a speaker connected to any device into a decorative structure . Such a device will create sounds that simulate the crackle of burning firewood. When the lights are off with a sound and light source connected to the fireplace, an unusually cozy and fabulous atmosphere will be created. The grille installed on the front of the product will look very interesting.
The purchase of parts and materials depends on which design model is conceived. Decorative items can be purchased in a store or you can make decorative items for a false fireplace yourself.
How to do it yourself?
After you have decided on the materials and tools, you should draw a plan with detailed measurements. Step-by-step instructions will greatly simplify the process of making a fireplace from cardboard.
Making a cardboard structure is not difficult if you approach the work responsibly . Each master has his own secrets for making a product, so you should familiarize yourself with the workflow by watching several options on the video or attending a master class, where you can plunge into the working atmosphere in more detail.
Even the simplest option for manufacturing a structure should consist of the following steps:
- you need to choose the type of product, decide on the form and place for it;
- choose materials for making the frame and subsequent finishing;
- prepare the necessary tools and materials;
- mark the parts on cardboard;
- cut out all the details, glue them and install the structure;
- make external finishing of the product
Consider an option where a large cardboard box is taken as a basis for manufacturing. From such a box, you will get a rectangular product. When choosing a size, experts recommend focusing on a product height of about 90 cm with a width of 80-90 cm. The dimensions of the fireplace can be different, it depends on the preferences of the master manufacturer. In addition, you can often see models that are much higher, wider and deeper than standard sizes, and some of them can be equipped with decorative chimneys and stands and shelves.
When making a product, we first make the central part, then we begin to form the columns . The main thing is to correctly measure and bend the parts in the right places. In order for the columns to be even, you can take a ruler or other durable object, and press on the cardboard, bend it. After preparing the parts, they are pasted over and painted. To glue the parts, use masking tape, with its help the parts are glued on both sides. In order to make the structure more durable, it is recommended to glue an additional partition on the walls.
At this stage, the bulk of the work is completed. Next, work should be done to paint the product and decorate the fireplace. Since tape was used to glue the cardboard, it should be hidden so that its traces are not visible. To do this, you can take a large sheet of white paper and glue it over the entire surface or apply a primer to the model, and only after priming paint the product.
After the paint has dried, they begin to decorate the fireplace. Such work can be approached creatively and made parts for decoration from different materials. You can simply paste over the surface with wallpaper imitating brickwork, or make bricks with your own hands from cardboard, foam or other materials.
If cardboard is chosen to imitate brick, it should be painted with white or colored water-based paint . After drying, to give the brickwork texture, the most ordinary paper napkins are glued to the walls of the finished product, which are then spread with PVA glue. After the surface dries, it will appear that real bricks were used to decorate the fireplace.
Self-adhesive paper is also suitable for decorating a product, from which forms in the form of bricks are cut out and laid out on the surface according to a certain pattern.
To imitate brickwork, you can use foam, from which parts are cut out that will serve as bricks for decorating the fireplace. Foam figures are glued with PVA glue to the surface of the fireplace, then they cover up the places where there are defects, after which water-based paint is applied. When decorating a product, moldings and other decorative elements are often used, corners are glued.
- With a drawing in hand, you can collect all the parts. The construction of a decorative fireplace made of cardboard consists of its base and a portal.
- For the base, choose a rectangular shape of the product, which is glued with tape. The cardboard is compacted, for this several pieces are glued together. Now the structure will not bend.
- The base of the structure should be 7 cm more than the thickness of the fireplace, and its length should be 10 cm more than the width.
- For the portal and front, it is better to take a solid sheet of cardboard. A middle is cut out inside the sheet, which will be a firebox. With the help of tape, the side walls are attached to the back wall.
- Parts should be connected to each other.
- After all the details of the fireplace are glued together, it's time for the decor. The entire structure should be coated with white water-based paint. Seams and joints are carefully painted over.
- If you wish, you can leave the fireplace in white or make an imitation of brickwork.
- After drying, the entire structure is covered with a colorless varnish. Surfaces covered with varnish will be less dirty. Such products are easier to clean, they are not afraid of moisture, moreover, they look more spectacular than without varnish.
- The finished product is installed in its permanent place and decorated with candles, tinsel, decorative items.
If there is no large box at home, but there are shoe boxes, you can use them . Better to pick up several pieces with the same size. For work, tape the bottom of the box with tape and connect several identical elements together
Decorative fireplaces for rooms often have:
- Near the wall. Wall structures are placed near the wall, while the facade of the product will protrude forward at a certain distance.
- Corner option. Place the product in the corner of the room.
- Built-in design. Such a product is mounted directly into the wall.
- Ostrovnoy. Such a false fireplace is placed in the center of the room.
Each author of his product can make it from different materials, different shapes and in any style . The main thing is that the product is combined with the decor of the room, in harmony with the chosen interior. The product will look very nice in a room decorated in a classic or English style. For rooms decorated in art deco style, models with curls and original patterns are suitable. If the room is decorated in a rustic style, it is a good idea to make a fireplace with a rectangular firebox or in the form of an arch. It is important to make a fireplace that complements the overall style of the room and fits perfectly into the design of the room.
If there are children in the house, it is worth taking them as your helpers. Schoolchildren can be entrusted with the construction of the simplest model of a false fireplace. The kids will be delighted and happy to build a decorative toy fireplace.
To make a toy fireplace, you will need the same materials and tools, but the size of the product should be made small in order to facilitate the work process. Drawing up a plan and drawing, preparing material and cutting out parts will be within the power of older students. Young children can help decorate the model by applying glue or cutting out bricks for the fireplace.
The least difficult option can be called where the fireplace is made in the form of the letter "P". This design can be gradually supplemented with various decorative elements.
When choosing a material to simulate a real fireplace, you can choose not only cardboard. You can make a product from plywood, foam tiles, drywall. But a cardboard fireplace is the easiest to make, and it looks very beautiful after design. The main thing in working with cardboard is to do everything correctly and scrupulously, otherwise, instead of a beautiful product, you can get a lopsided cardboard house. In order for the material to become more rigid, an additional layer of cardboard is glued on the bearing sides of the product.
To glue the surface, you should choose construction tape or paper paper for pasting windows . You can take ordinary scotch tape, but it will work if you plan to wallpaper the surface. When painting a product on ordinary adhesive tape, the paint may not lie in an even layer.
During the assembly of the structure, you can use the corners - with their help you can make the corners of the product much smoother. You can after assembly and not pull them out, they will not be visible, but such a product will become more durable.
Since the product is assembled from parts, the internal parts should be processed prior to the assembly process. To do this, they are laid out on the floor, painted or pasted over. This is especially true for the firebox, since it is much more difficult to get to it for processing when folded. If a small hole is chosen for it, then it will be much easier to finish it before assembling the product.
But the outer sides of the structure should be drawn up in a finished form. In addition, if you plan to paint the product, you should first prime the surface, so you can hide the traces of the tape.
To determine what size is needed for a fireplace, it is worthwhile to think in advance about the place where it will be located and determine how well this model will fit into the room. It's also worth seeing what materials and boxes are available. With a large box, one type of structure can be built, and with several small shoe boxes, the design can be completely different.
A drawing of a fireplace made from one large box
Many people prefer angular models. Such products take up little space. Corner fireplaces are more suitable for small rooms, such a product is also good for a bedroom or a children's room.
Drawing of a corner false fireplace
More often, decorative items are placed in common rooms so that everyone has the opportunity to spend their free time around them. A fireplace decorated with New Year's attributes will immediately add a festive atmosphere to the room. If you put a Christmas tree next to it and arrange gifts, such a room with a decorative fireplace will become the most beautiful and cozy place to hang out with your family, friends and loved ones.
The size of the decorative fireplaces should be appropriate for the size of the room. For small rooms, you can choose designs of a standard size, and for a large, spacious room, you should build a fireplace with sizes from 1.5 to 2 meters.
When choosing a color for a decorative product, you should pay attention to white products, as well as models in the design of which the colors of natural materials for brick, stone were used, or choose the color of the product at your discretion.
Since the fireplace should organically fit into the design of the room and be in harmony with the furniture, the color of the product should also fit into the overall color palette of the room. The border for it can be painted in dark cherry tones, and for painting bricks it is worth using red or golden colors.
Often, themed wallpapers are chosen for decorating the walls of the fireplace. Often for such products, canvases with a pattern in the form of a brick wall are used. For the New Year holidays, you can choose wallpaper with a pattern of deer and New Year's paraphernalia. Although fireplaces with deer and Santa Claus in the warm season may look a little out of topic.
To make the design look more interesting, it is worth adding additional effects. Since there is no way to make a real fire in a fireplace made of cardboard, you can make an imitation of fire.
This can be done in several ways:
- Using candles. They are placed in original candlesticks and placed in the back of the fireplace.
- You can take dry fuel. This method is only suitable for short-term use.
- With the help of photowall-paper. They are glued to the back of the structure. It is worth choosing an interesting drawing that would have good print quality.
- During installation, an electric light or other electrical appliances are built in that will simulate a flame in a fireplace.
To complement the effect of naturalness, you can put tree branches, logs in the fireplace. Such decor will complement the overall picture, in addition, a light woody scent will add a special festive note of mood.
Tips & Tricks
- When creating structures from cardboard, it is better to take universal metal guides for cladding. Such a strong frame will guarantee a long service life.
- For cladding, you can use tiles imitating natural stone. A mosaic made of stone will look very interesting and original.
- You can make a fake fire using red light bulbs.
To finish a decorative product, you should choose one of the following methods:
- You can paint the walls of the fireplace. Before applying paint, the surface should be putty and cleaned with sandpaper.
- Use self-adhesive tape. Before gluing the film, the surface is putty and cleaned.
- Cover with artificial stone. Such a cladding will look very interesting and elegant.
- Finish with plaster. Often, plaster is used in the manufacture; thanks to this material, you can simulate a surface made of brick or stone.
- Decorate with ceramic tiles. In order for the tile to adhere well to the surface, a plaster reinforced mesh is used.
- Use stucco. To decorate the fireplace, you can take polyurethane stucco molding, which is best fixed to the surface with mounting glue.
Successful examples and options
If you do not yet have experience in building a decorative fireplace made of cardboard, you can start with the simplest models. It is better to put such a fireplace in a small room.
A white cardboard fireplace on the eve of the New Year holidays will contribute to the festive atmosphere.
A false fireplace made of a cardboard box, covered with wallpaper, looks very original and cute.
Creating a fireplace from boxes.
Simple fireplace design with grate.
Do-it-yourself Panel (54 Photos): Creating Decorative Panels On The Wall From Improvised Means At Home, Making From Natural Materials For The Interior
A do-it-yourself panel is an original solution that can decorate any interior. The creation of decorative panels on the wall from improvised means at home, making from natural materials for the interior - all this is described in our article
DIY Decorative Fireplace (75 Photos): Artificial False Fireplace, Portal For Construction, How To Make A Product Out Of Boxes
An artificial false fireplace has become a godsend for those who want to have a hearth at home, but cannot, for whatever reason, build a real fireplace. Accordingly, questions arise about how to design a decorative fireplace with your own hands and how to beautifully design a portal for this design?
Cement Cache-pot (18 Photos): A Master Class On Making A Model From White Cement And Rags. How To Make A Decorative Product For Flowers From Cement Mortar And Towels With Your Own Hands?
Cement planters are almost an eternal decoration of the garden. What is the most accessible workshop on making a model out of white cement and rags for beginners? What ingredients are needed to prepare the solution?
DIY Cardboard Box: How To Make A Box With A Lid From Fabric And Cardboard? Features Of Making A Book Box At Home
Cardboard boxes are used both for storing things and for decorating the interior. How to make a cardboard box with an invoice or a hinged lid with your own hands? How to decorate a cardboard box with fabric or paper?
DIY Box Out Of The Box: How To Make It Out Of A Cardboard Shoe Box? Master Class For Making A Box From A Shoe Box And From A Phone
DIY casket - can it be made from a cardboard shoe box? Master classes for creating boxes from boxes of different shapes. Ideas for original design