2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
Currently, the world is developing rapidly and it is more and more difficult to surprise a modern person with something. Many household items, exotic for past generations, are now firmly embedded in everyday life. To create coziness in the living room or bedroom, biofireplaces are widely used - an imitation of the usual wood-burning fireplaces, which can boast of a wide range of models, practicality and ease of use. This home corner of comfort will be especially appreciated by people who love to spend time in a romantic atmosphere, admiring the dancing flames.
The biofireplace is also called an alcohol fireplace based on the principle of fuel consumption. They were invented in 1977 in Italy. The invention gained popularity due to the lack of a chimney in it.
Compared to traditional biofireplace has the following advantages:
- Safety - the design of the fuel block makes it possible to control the open fire area. Thermal insulation of the body allows you to use the fireplace in closed rooms.
- Easy to install - the fireplace does not need a chimney. In relation to the unit, the “eco” prefix is often used, so there is no point in laying ventilation pipes and coordinating work of this nature if there is a desire to install it in an apartment. According to the principle of operation, a biofireplace is similar to an ordinary candle, but the fire does not give soot. This device runs on biofuel and uses bioethanol as a fuel - a liquid based on ethanol, that is, ethyl alcohol, which decomposes into carbon dioxide and water when burning, so there is no shade of orange in the flame. At the moment, there are mixtures containing components to give the fire a natural color. Some biofireplace owners like to use gelled lighter fluid containing sea salt, which simulates the crackling sound of logs on fire.
- It will not be difficult to light up such a fireplace.
- The fireplace is safe for humans, does not harm pets and the environment.
- Easy to use and easy to clean. The flame can be extinguished at any time. Since bioethanol does not produce solid degradation products, there is no need to scrub ash or soot. To care for the heating tank, simply wash it under running water. The fireplace can be simply lit without worrying about the preliminary preparation of coal or logs.
- A huge variety of models makes it possible to choose the ideal option for any interior.
- Light weight - even the heaviest models weigh no more than 100 kg, which is suitable even for an ordinary city apartment.
- Relative fire safety - knocking over the fireplace is quite difficult due to its severity, the flame itself looks like a household spirit lamp. In any case, it is necessary to observe fire safety measures, namely, do not add fuel directly during the operation of the biofireplace, do not fill the burner with biofuel by more than a third, use an automatic ignition system or use a specialized lighter.
Biofireplaces are decorated with all kinds of materials - from stone and marble to precious woods, and a combination of any types of finishes is also used.
When buying an eco-fireplace, it is reasonable to take into account the disadvantages of this type of interior element:
- The fireplace has an exclusively decorative function - such equipment is not suitable for heating even a small room.
- Despite the environmental friendliness of the fuel and due to the absence of a chimney, there must be good ventilation in the room where the eco-fireplace is installed. Otherwise, the air will become excessively humid and, as a result, unsuitable for breathing.
- Fuel is not available everywhere, and besides, it has a rather high price.
Eco fireplace installation requirements:
- good ventilation in the room;
- lack of drafts;
- sufficient area of the room.
One of the frequently asked questions is whether it is possible to put an eco-fireplace next to the TV. The answer is yes, but try to keep them at least one meter apart.
Types and designs
Bio fireplaces are distinguished not only in appearance, but also in size and installation methods, so choosing the right variation for any room is not difficult. Eco fireplace can be placed on the floor or hung on the wall.
Separation according to the principle of ignition and extinguishing:
By the type of construction, biofireplaces are divided into the following categories:
- Mobile . Easy to move indoors, has special wheels. When not in use, it can be easily removed. It can be taken out into the street, only a flat surface is required to install it.
- Frontal . Placed on the floor, in the center of the room, or against a wall.
- Built in . It is a frame made of fire-resistant materials, inside which there is a fuel block. For installation, niches in the wall with a depth of at least 15 cm are used. The installed structure is fixed with bolts. Most often, built-in fireplaces are used in restaurant halls or in rooms with a large area.
Let's consider them in more detail:
- Portal furnace looks like a stationary unit, most realistically and fully conveys the atmosphere of a traditional wood-burning fireplace. This type of fireplace equipment is installed directly on the floor. For different interior styles, you can choose suitable style solutions - for example, a marble fireplace will go well with an Empire design, a minimalist combination of glass and metal will suit a high-tech space. In addition, fireplace equipment can be decorated with wood or stone panels. For more authenticity, you can put heat-resistant ceramic logs in it.
- Wall mounted eco fireplaces there are built-in and hinged ones. Outwardly, they resemble a plasma panel and, upon a cursory examination, it is easy to confuse them with a TV. They will ideally fit into a small room such as a loft or high-tech.
- Table biofireplace is small and very compact, it can be in the form of a cylinder or a cube. Often, fireplaces of this type are used as an imitation of burning candles - such models are easily mounted inside tables. It is worth noting that the tabletop model is equipped with a fire-blocking latch in case the device is overturned.
- Angular . From the name it is clear that this type of fireplace is mounted in the corner of the room, which allows it to visually expand.
- " Fire line " - the most fashionable trend at the present time. Several blocks of fuel are installed in a row, forming a single line, which can be up to one and a half meters in length. Such a design move will successfully emphasize the podium or niche in the wall.
- Hanging fireplace holds on a ceiling or wall mount that simulates a chimney.
- Fireplace torch most often placed in a heat-resistant glass flask.
It is easy to make a biofireplace the central part of the interior of the room, its highlight. From this point of view, the classic option is a fireplace against the wall, opposite which there are armchairs or a sofa. It is better to remove all large equipment away so that it does not distract attention from the fireplace itself
You can also put family photos or gifts on the mantelpiece.
The eco-fireplace is wonderful because it will easily fit into any interior - both in the Mediterranean style and in the Art Nouveau style, it only depends on the preferences of the customer
Designers easily deviate from the usual classic options, "play" with the shape of the device and decoration - from bio to steampunk
- A triangular or round fireplace will easily fit into the high-tech style interior.
- For a living room in a minimalist style, where simple forms prevail and, as a rule, small furniture is chosen, the fireplace can be located in the corner. If the room is small, the eco-fireplace can be placed on a table or on a shelf.
- Provence style is not losing its popularity. A biofireplace in such a room will emphasize the comfort, so it may somehow resemble a stove. Brick, stone or other natural material is perfect for decor. If you artificially age the interior items, such a living room will acquire a unique charm.
- Unlike the classic, the modern style in the interior looks uncomplicated and even a little simple. The functionality of each thing is the main feature of modern Art Nouveau, therefore the eco-fireplace, despite its main decorative accessory, should resemble as much as possible in appearance a traditional wood-burning or coal fireplace.
What to drown with?
European countries such as Italy, France and Germany can boast of mass production of ecofuel, South Africa produces biofuels in Africa, and Brazil occupies a leading position in the world. China and India produce about 5% of the total amount of bioethanol.
On the territory of the former USSR, at the moment, the production of this substance is almost not established. For ethanol production, crops such as potatoes, beets, and Jerusalem artichoke are considered as alternative sources.
Fuel is divided into several types, among the most popular are the following:
- Biogas . This is a pre-processed industrial waste, which is analogous to natural gas.
- Biodiesel most common in European countries. The source is natural oils and fats of biological origin, both animal and microbial or vegetable. Various waste products from the food industry or oils are used as raw materials.
- Bioethanol replaces gasoline.
To ignite fireplaces, biofuel is used - a colorless liquid fuel based on bioethanol, which is practically odorless, does not emit solid decomposition products and, as a result, is safe for indoor use. The efficiency of such a liquid is about 95%.
This fuel is based on ethanol, which is of plant origin. The method of obtaining is the fermentation of sugars contained in most agricultural crops (beets, cane, bananas, wheat and others). This type of fuel is not sold in its pure form, since the manufacturer is obliged to pre-denature the alcohol in order to protect the fuel for the environment in general and for humans in particular.
Fuel blocks are made of metal, stainless steel is often used for these purposes.
I would like to note the following characteristics of biofuels:
- ease of use;
- long burning;
- lack of emission of harmful gases;
- economical consumption: biofireplace consumes about 0.5 liters of liquid per hour, which is comparable in power to the operation of an electric heater, while the heater dries the air in the room, and the fireplace, on the contrary, humidifies;
- does not require special storage space
Be sure to pay attention to the disadvantages that this type of fuel still has:
- in no case store containers with fuel in the immediate vicinity of an open flame;
- it is strictly forbidden to add fuel while the fireplace is in operation - it is necessary to extinguish it and allow it to cool;
- to generate a spark, use a special lighter or electric igniter.
To complement the ambience with a sophisticated scent, you can add essential oil to the decorative elements of the fireplace.
Remember that 95% of the fuel consists of bioethanol, which is a flammable substance, therefore it is necessary to take security measures:
- keep it out of the reach of children;
- do not use paper, straw and other flammable materials for ignition of the biochamber;
- do not store in the immediate vicinity of open flame sources.
If liquid spills on the floor, wipe it dry with a paper towel or soft cloth.
When choosing biofuels, pay attention to the following points:
- time of complete burnout;
- high heat output;
- availability of certificates confirming quality;
- shelf life;
- genuine packaging;
- there should be no sharp or unpleasant odors.
Eco-fuel can also be presented in the form of a gel, which is also very easy to use. The lid is opened, the container is hidden among the heat-resistant decorative elements and is set on fire, the gel will burn for about three hours.
If you want a more voluminous flame, you can light several containers of gel at once. To extinguish the fire, close the covers, thereby blocking the access of oxygen to the flame.
Overview of manufacturers and brands
Available in liter containers. They may contain a flavoring component, for example, with a forest or coffee scent, in addition, may contain additives that change the color of the fire. It is made from high quality ethanol, the burning time of one container is 2-5 hours.
Burning one liter of fuel will take from 2, 5 to 5 hours. The product has been tested for safety and certified.
Sold in economical containers of 5 and 20 liters. On average, consumption is about a third of a liter per hour.
How to do it yourself?
Biological fuel can be purchased at special points of sale, but if you wish, you can make it yourself. The most important thing is to accurately observe the dosage of the components that make up its composition, otherwise the resulting liquid may burn unevenly, flashing from time to time.
To create fuel for a bio fireplace, you need:
- ethanol, which you can buy at a pharmacy;
- gasoline to make the fire look natural.
Gasoline should be of the highest quality, have a high degree of purification, pay attention to its transparency and the absence of pungent odors. The ideal option is gasoline for refueling lighters.
Pharmacy ethanol has a high concentration - about 96%, and is suitable for use as a component of liquid for starting a biofireplace.
Below is a step-by-step guide to creating a mixture:
- Mix one liter of ethyl alcohol and 50 g of gasoline just before lighting. It is necessary to mix them thoroughly and use immediately, because due to the different density of the components, over time, the liquid will cease to be homogeneous and will be divided into layers.
- Pour the resulting composition into the fuel tank and ignite. In the first couple of minutes of burning, a faint smell of alcoholic beverages may appear, but it will soon disappear.
Wood-burning fireplaces are a thing of the past, while eco-fireplaces are becoming more and more popular. When choosing a fireplace, read customer reviews, consider various options for ignition fluids - decide which biofuel you like best. Everyone can choose a suitable eco-fireplace option for their home - it can be both an impressive unit for a country house, and an economy option for a city apartment, since biofireplaces do not need additional ventilation pipes.
There are artificial logs on the market made from eco-friendly heat-resistant materials which in appearance imitate different types of wood. You can choose the option you like - from birch beams to spruce paws with cones. Such elements do not crack or burn. It is enough just to light the wick - and the room will become warm and cozy.
Also, as a decor, next to the wick, you can put ceramic stones or pebbles - they can be either matte or glossy, depending on the desired result. Such stones are not afraid of temperature changes and will last a long time. Sometimes imitation maple leaves are used as decoration. Jagged pieces of marble and Himalayan salt look spectacular - you can buy them in any specialty store.
Piezo lighters are electric lighters, widely used for ignition, they are much safer than ordinary matches for starting a fire in a bio fireplace. A metal cap will help to quickly extinguish the flame.
Beautiful examples in the interior
Design solutions will satisfy any, even the most demanding taste.
The abundance of forms and decoration options will allow you to choose a fireplace for any home.
- In accordance with Russian traditions, the fireplace can be tiled with tiles, as an option, you can use porcelain decorative elements or gilded fragments.
- To give the eco-fireplace a national style, you can use stained glass windows, uneven lines, a variety of mosaics.
- Using elements of the medieval style, you can add brutality to the fireplace by means of facing from bricks or ceramics. Such elements will give an antique look and add nobility.
- In the classical style, on the contrary, there should be no frills and pretentious elements, only restraint and nobility. Finishes made of wood or natural stone look good; mirrors, paintings or any other large objects can be hung over the fireplace.
- If we are talking about high classics, it makes sense, on the contrary, to emphasize luxury. Venetian plaster, carvings and half columns would be appropriate.
- The biofireplace will perfectly fit into the country style - it is better to arrange it deliberately massively, trim it with forging, weapons, use any references to hunting trophies. Untreated wood or untreated stone works well for cladding.
- The bionics style brings a person back to nature. If the biofireplace is located in such a room, let it be finished in a natural color, using subtle elements and natural materials. Excessive geometry, right angles, static should be avoided.
- Small eco fireplaces can be used as unusual wall decorations.
If desired, a small indoor biofireplace can be built independently , but remember, safety comes first!
To do this, take a deep bowl or earthen pot, a can of a suitable height, pebbles and ignition mixture.
Place a jar in the center of the pot, sprinkle pebbles around, sand or small stones are also suitable. Secure the can carefully to avoid tipping over and catching fire. Pour fuel and light it - a small fireplace is ready. But be extremely careful - open fire is dangerous!
Today the market offers many different options for eco-style fireplaces with bioethanol. A large number of manufacturers, models, finishes and a wide range of models will allow the buyer to choose exactly what he needs. An eco-fireplace is able to revive any room - whether it is a home or a restaurant hall.
Hall With A Fireplace (42 Photos): Projects Of Baths With A Fireplace Room, Which Wallpaper To Choose In A Room With A Decorative Fireplace
The hall with a fireplace looks very stylish and modern. What models to choose for a spacious fireplace room? Can wallpaper be used to decorate a decorative fireplace? What kind of fireplaces are best suited for projects of private houses and baths? Tips for furnishing a room with a fireplace
Corner Electric Fireplace (41 Photos): Dimensions Of A Stylish Electric Fireplace, 3D Models With The Effect Of Live Fire And Tongues Of Flame, Examples In The Interior Of An Apartment And A House
The electric corner fireplace is a multifunctional and stylish item for any home. What are the dimensions of a stylish electric fireplace for a private house or apartment? How to choose a corner electric fireplace yourself?
Built-in Electric Fireplace (58 Photos): Electric Fireplace Built Into The Wall Or Furniture, Options With A Niche, Sizes And Design Examples
The built-in electric fireplace is often used in modern interiors. How to choose the right electric fireplace built into the wall or furniture? What niche options to choose for your home?
Built-in Fireplace (83 Photos): Built-in Wall Fireplace, Wall And Furniture On The Wall, Wall Structures In The Interior
The built-in fireplace is suitable for both a private house and an apartment. How to choose the right recessed wall-mounted fireplace? What should be the wall and furniture on the wall near the fireplace in a private house?
Room With A Fireplace (63 Photos): An Antique Fireplace In The Center Of The Kitchen, Design Of A Fireplace Room In The Apartment, Room Mirrors Over The Hearth
A room with a fireplace is the center of the hearth. What is the design of a fireplace room in an apartment? What are the varieties of this product? Is an antique fireplace in the center of a kitchen still relevant?