2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
A fireplace with burning and crackling wood is often found in a movie or book, but very rarely in everyday life, since it is considered a luxury item. Indeed, a real fireplace is not a cheap pleasure; moreover, it is extremely difficult to build it in a city apartment. But there is an alternative option, namely a decorative fireplace. It will cost significantly less, is easy to operate, absolutely safe, and most importantly, you can make it yourself.
A false fireplace is a design that imitates a real hearth. Usually it is installed when, for some reason, it is not possible to build a real wood-burning hearth, for example, a city apartment (in urban conditions it is difficult to obtain permission to build a fireplace, there is no chimney box in houses) or a limited room space.
Benefits of fakecamine:
- Low cost. You will have to spend only on the purchase of building materials.
- Availability of materials. You can find them literally in any hardware store.
- The design of such a fireplace can be changed at your discretion as many times as you like.
- To decorate a fireplace, you do not need to purchase expensive materials, you can get by with quite budgetary, but presentable options.
There are essentially no drawbacks to a false fireplace. In fact, it is a decorative element and sometimes serves to heat the room. It is not difficult to make it. You can develop your own project and draw a drawing, or use a ready-made diagram. A decorative fireplace is absolutely safe, it can be of different sizes and settle down even in the smallest room.
The very first thing to do when creating an artificial fireplace is to decide on the type of construction.
Decorative fireplaces are divided into three groups:
- Credible. These fireplaces are able to completely imitate the real ones. They are similar to the real one in size and design. A bio fireplace burner is usually located in the firebox, which very accurately recreates the effect of combustion and heats the room. This option is quite expensive, but of all, it is the most plausible.
- Conditional. Limited by a protruding fireplace portal. The portal is decorated to your liking, and various decorative elements are installed in the firebox, for example, candles or logs.
- Symbolic. The most dissimilar, they are created even from simple stickers with a picture of fire or a picture, with additional decor. In other words, only the shape of the fireplace is preserved, without a depression under the firebox.
There are several types of fire imitation:
- Imitation . It only conditionally resembles the real one. The role of the flame is played by candles or paintings placed inside, depicting tongues of flame.
- Electric . In this case, the imitation is performed by a special electrical device, which is framed by a niche. This option is very realistic, since the video illusion of a burning flame is displayed on the screen, and the room is also heated.
- Biofireplace . The hearth is as close as possible to a real fireplace and, with the appropriate design, completely copies it. The fire burns in it due to a special burner, the work of which is supported by such a substance as bioethanol. The downside of the design is its high cost.
Each type differs in cost and complexity of construction. Of course, the cheapest option is an imitation one, which can be done by hand, without buying additional expensive equipment and materials. But it is the decorative effect that suffers greatly from them and visually they are somewhat caricatured. Conditional and reliable fireplaces are most often constructed from drywall, and candles, various lamps, LED strips or an electric fireplace are placed inside.
Style and design
The design of a false fireplace completely depends on the style of the room in which it is placed. For example, for the classic style, square fireplaces decorated with stucco or bas-relief are appropriate. Imitation tile finishes, brick or marble tiles also look great.
Materials with a mirror or reflective surface are more suitable for modernism . In high-tech, a large role is played directly by the non-standard form of the structure, for example, an acute-angled fireplace, trimmed with mirrors. Also, a simple and natural country style has become more prevalent, respectively, and fake fireplace should be simple and even somewhat rude. In this case, unnecessary decorative elements are not needed.
Imitation of a flame in an artificial hearth can create a homely atmosphere in the room. Today, for this purpose, you can purchase a special electronic device that is able to visualize a picture of a burning flame, as well as reproduce characteristic crackling sounds. The simplest recreation of fire is a sticker on the back of the fireplace with a decorative pattern of burning logs. Also, modern technologies allow the use of the so-called electronic photo frame. It simply loads a "live" image.
However, it is not forbidden to approach this task creatively and decorate the fireplace. For example, install an ordinary mirror on the back wall of the fireplace, and place several candles and logs in front of it. However, this option is only suitable for drywall.
Another interesting solution would be to place a medium-sized lamp inside. But it will be necessary to come up with a masking of the wire from the lamp, so that, if necessary, it is imperceptible to turn it on or off. The niche is covered with a film that can be translucent, yellow or orange. By the way, backlighting the film of the last two colors will create the effect of a "warm glow", which usually comes from real fire. Instead of a lamp, you can install several small bulbs or a New Year's garland inside without covering the niche with a film.
Very often, next to a real fireplace there is a clock hanging over the hearth or just standing on a shelf. Therefore, designers offer the same move with a decorative hearth, placing the clock inside the fireplace, for example, in a firebox or niche. Such a decision will definitely attract attention.
The shelves that are installed in the firebox will look unusual and interesting .while maintaining their functionality. Small souvenirs, candles and other cute things are placed on them. They will not only decorate the room and structure, but also create a pleasant home atmosphere. On the same shelves, books are placed, especially with bright and colorful covers. A picture or photograph will perfectly fit into a niche. For example, you can hang several small frames around the fireplace, and one large in a niche, which will be the central element of the entire composition.
You cannot put live plants close to a real fire, but you can do it next to a fake one. Fresh flowers in pots and miniature plants are placed near it or inside. Also, a pseudo-fireplace can serve as an excellent pedestal for some collection or a kind of bar, and glass stands are placed on the top shelf.
Also, when decorating, decorative plaster is popular. Previously, the surface is putty, all joints between the elements and all irregularities are sealed. After the putty is cleaned with sandpaper and plastered.
In fact, you can decorate fake fireplaces with anything. It all depends on the imagination, interior style and practical skills of the owner himself or the employee who will design the fireplace.
Required tools and accessories
The second stage in the work will be the measurement and acquisition of the necessary building materials.
For plasterboard construction you will need:
- profiles - rack and guide;
- moisture resistant plasterboard sheets;
- elements for fasteners (dowels, screws, etc.);
- finishing material (primer or putty, tile adhesive and grout) depending on the choice of facing;
- tools: electric drill, screwdriver, metal scissors, knife, tape measure, level.
For polyurethane construction:
- fireplace portal made of polyurethane;
- contact adhesive composition;
- finishing material.
For a wooden structure:
- plywood sheets;
- machine for grinding wood;
- electric jigsaw;
- finishing material.
How to do it yourself?
An artificial fireplace is most often made from drywall. This material is inexpensive and can be purchased at any building materials store. You will need screws, self-tapping screws (they must have a countersunk head for fixing the sheets) for metal, dowels, nails and cladding material.
Step-by-step instructions for making a decorative plasterboard fireplace:
The basis of the foundations is a sketch of the future design. It is important to determine exactly where the fireplace will be located and its approximate parameters. After that, based on the sketch, the exact dimensions and the amount of material required are calculated
It is important to know that the corner fireplace is first assembled, and only then installed. If the structure is located against the wall, then the frame can be assembled directly on the wall.
- Making a frame against the wall. The places where the profiles will be attached are marked on the wall. They will serve as the basis for the rear fireplace wall. Basically, the profiles are fastened with dowels, which are designed for dense, solid materials.
- We fix the guide profile along the marked lines. If the wall is concrete, the holes for the dowels must be drilled with a drill and then the profiles must be installed.
- We install the rack profiles in the guides and fix them with self-tapping screws. To increase the safety factor, we connect horizontal and vertical rack profiles with additional stiffeners.
- Following the drawing, we make a frame, first for the entire structure, and then for a portal with a firebox. In order for the structure to be strong, we make jumpers at intervals of 30 cm. They are needed to take on the main load from objects located above. In other words, they will allow you to put various decorative elements on the fireplace without harming the structure.
- If an arch is formed in the future, then it is necessary to cut the profile along the side and then give it the appropriate shape.
- As soon as the frame is ready, it can be sheathed with drywall using 25 mm self-tapping screws. It is better to cut it with a hacksaw or a jigsaw, but an ordinary knife is quite capable of coping with this task.
- We fix the cladding fragments with self-tapping screws with a fastening pitch of 10-15 cm.
So, the fireplace is ready and now you can make its cladding
You can decorate drywall with literally anything, from ordinary painting to gluing tiles. The choice of cladding method depends entirely on the style in which the structure will be made. In addition, drywall is a versatile material that allows for complete improvisation.
When painting the caps of the self-tapping screws, it is necessary to tighten as much as possible so that they do not protrude above the surface. The working surface itself is primed, putty and only after all the preparatory work they start painting.
When gluing tiles, work and prepare the surface in accordance with the instructions indicated on the packaging of the adhesive. It is important not to forget that you can grind the seams only 24 hours after laying the tiles. During this time, the composition must dry and firmly fix the tile.
Production of fake fireplace from a cardboard box:
- Cardboard is the best suited for creating such a design. To make it more stable and regular in shape, use a large box for household appliances.
- Required tools: pencil, scissors, stapler and construction tape.
- As in the previous instructions, we make an initial sketch of the entire structure. Then we transfer the drawing to the box.
- We cut off all unnecessary and fix the base with a stapler, glue the joints with tape.
- With a sharp clerical knife we cut out the firebox at the base: we cut the top and side walls, then bend the cardboard inward. You should have a shelf that needs to be secured with tape.
- We attach the finished frame to the wall with double-sided adhesive tape.
- Cardboard can be pasted over with wallpaper with a brick or other pattern, or glued on a self-adhesive film. However, many argue that the wallpaper looks more natural.
- We decorate the upper part with a shelf made of cardboard or decorative foam.
To make the work go smoother and everything can be seen clearly, it is recommended to watch one of the many videos with a master class, which shows and tells about all the working moments and nuances.
You can choose any material for the fireplace: stone, wood, brick, and so on. However, it is always worth considering the complexity of its processing and installation, especially if the structure will be located in a city apartment, where it may be too bulky. Drywall is more convenient in this regard, which is easy to use and is a versatile material.
If you have building skills, the fireplace is made of decorative bricks . This material provides the maximum resemblance to a real hearth. However, in a city apartment, it should be compact so as not to take up too much space. You also need to know for sure whether the overlap can handle the load from the finished structure, especially if the fireplace is supposed to be made large. Sometimes they just lay out a frame for the fireplace - the so-called fireplace portal.
You can make a wooden fireplace yourself . But if there are no skills in handling wood, then it is better to refuse this option or hire professionals. If there is an old unnecessary chest of drawers in the house, then it can be made the basis for the fireplace, to which the necessary elements are subsequently attached.
Plates that have a laminated coating (chipboard) and similar materials are the best suited for assembling a false fireplace. In this case, it is important to accurately outline the future structure and only then transfer the data to the plate. If everything is done correctly, the design will be neat, and most importantly, very attractive. A more budgetary analogue of laminated boards is chipboard or MDF.
Typically, polyurethane is used to create decorative items and embellishments. But with a strong desire, various moldings, half-columns and platbands can be glued to the wall. However, such a design will still not be perceived as a full-fledged fireplace, but it is perfect for interesting playing with portals.
Most often, drywall is chosen for work . This material is characterized by ease of use and allows you to implement designs of any complexity. With all its indisputable advantages, the material is inexpensive and readily available to a wide range of consumers.
The dimensions of a false fireplace completely depend on the room and in each case are selected individually. If the room is small and it is necessary to save space, then the fireplace can be made small, wall-mounted, or better angular. In this case, the depth should be approximately 330 cm, and the length should be 1.3 m. A small room is considered to be an area from 16 to 20 m2.
For an average area - from 20 to 30 m2, more massive structures are suitable , for the size of which there are no such stringent requirements. Installation of shelves, countertops and full is allowed. The portal can be decorated with artificial or natural stone, wrought iron elements and wood. Approximate parameters: bottom - 1.5 m, top - 1.49 m, depth - 345 cm.
For large rooms - more than 30 m2, any design idea can be realized. If funds permit, the portal can be constructed from materials such as marble, solid wood, and metal. Approximate parameters: width - 2 m, height - 1, 285 m, depth - 90 cm. A large-sized gas or electric apparatus can easily be placed in it.
The color scheme of a false fireplace should come from the style in which the room is made and from the general color scheme. In general, the entire color gamut can be divided into shades: warm (red, orange, yellow and green), cold (blue, purple, blue) and neutral (white, gray, black).
If the interior is dominated by white or beige colors, then the fireplace trim can be white, red, sand, black, yellow or pink. Visually, light colors make the space wider and lighter, and therefore the hearth must either blend harmoniously with everything, or have a contrasting bright color. For a cold room, the same option applies.
For a strict room with a predominance of dark and black colors, the most suitable fireplace is white, green, black, yellow, orange and red. However, it is worth remembering that dark shades negatively affect the emotional state, so you should not get carried away with them.
The interior, made in neutral gray, will perfectly complement the gray, yellow, green, white, red, blue, beige and brown fireplace.
Bright, juicy colors harmoniously combine with red, yellow, orange, white, gray and black hearth. Bright colors stimulate brain activity and improve mood. Colors such as milk, chocolate, pistachio, purple and blue are also very attractive.
Successful examples and options
The fireplace, installed in the central part of one of the walls of the living room, is able to ensure the symmetry of the entire layout. The decorative hearth will become a kind of central point around which the pieces of furniture are placed. The area above the portal is decorated with lamps or books, a painting or panel with candlesticks, a TV or a large mirror is mounted.
You can fill the space in the fireplace with all the options presented above. From the firebox, you can create a bookshelf, a pedestal for various minerals, souvenirs, and so on. The solution will look spectacular: an iron grate with natural logs, which are placed both inside and simply put next to the hearth.
The fireplace fits perfectly into the design of the bedroom and creates a relaxing atmosphere , which facilitates the process of going to bed. The most important thing is that it is absolutely safe, and the owners do not need to worry about their health. Modern electric fireplaces are able to turn off on their own after a certain period of time or simply maintain the set temperature in the room.
When decorating the hearth in the bedroom, you should not make it too rough and overly bright. It should be done in soothing colors. It is better to make the decor elegant, for example, candles, small souvenirs, fresh flowers and the like. Reflective elements, decorative plaster or tiles are also attractive.
Pseudo-fireplace is the only and absolutely safe way to include such a design in the interior of a child's room . In addition, it can be adjusted for children's games, the portal can be pasted over with a special magnetic film, which is suitable for drawing and attaching magnetic parts. Books, toys and other children's accessories are kept in the firebox. The design of the fireplace is made bright and colorful, which will appeal to little fidgets.
In the dining room and kitchen, the fireplace can be anything: compact or large, stationary or portable, electric or imitation - in each case, the hearth will create a warm and cozy atmosphere for a meal. The style of decoration is made different, the decoration is from the interior of the room.
Artificial Fireplace (52 Photos): False Fireplaces In The Interior Of The Living Room, Decorative Models In The Apartment, Imitation Of A Hearth With Your Own Hands
An artificial fireplace can increasingly be found in the design of respectable interiors. What kind of false fireplaces in the living room interior will look best? How to choose the right decorative models for an apartment decorated in a certain style?
Decorating A Fireplace With Decorative Stone (45 Photos): Facing With Artificial And Natural Materials, Decorating Portals And False Models With Plaster, Mantelpiece And Countertop
Decorating a fireplace with decorative stone is very popular today. What kind of artificial and natural cladding is suitable for a fireplace? How to choose the right decorative finish for a false fireplace? What are the nuances when carrying out such work?
Do-it-yourself Imitation Of Fire In A Fireplace: How To Make An Artificial One Without Heating, How To Organize A False Hearth And Simulate Fire, An Electronic Device
Do-it-yourself imitation of fire in a fireplace is not very difficult. You just need to follow our advice and choose the method that suits you best. How to make an artificial fireplace without heating?
Do-it-yourself Fireplace (180 Photos): A Portal For A Fireplace, How To Make A Structure, Step-by-step Instructions For Laying A Homemade Product For The New Year
You can make a fireplace with your own hands. What is a fireplace portal? How to make a structure yourself and what materials should you use for this? What types of fireplaces are there and what can be placed in an apartment, and what in a private house?
Wooden Boxes (51 Photos): Carved Wooden Boxes With A Secret, Beautiful Gift Boxes Made Of Red Oak And Karelian Birch
What are wooden boxes? What wood are they made of? Features, advantages and disadvantages of the material. Carved wooden boxes with a secret, other varieties. How to properly care for them?