2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
After another stressful day, a modern person wants to relax, relieve stress, plunge into an atmosphere of peace. If there is a green corner at home, then this is much easier to do. But not everyone has the time and skills to care for plants. So that home flowers do not become a burden, you can pick up unpretentious species . The minimum care for them will not cause much trouble, but positive emotions are guaranteed. In addition to decorativeness, flowers have useful properties: they emit oxygen and absorb harmful substances, the air becomes cleaner.
Don't be discouraged if something goes wrong in the beginning. A little patience and success will surely come. This article will help you find your favorite green potted pets.
To grow many indoor plants, you do not need special knowledge, it is enough to want to see them at home. When creating a home green corner from unpretentious plants, it is necessary to select species so that they have common cultivation features:
- the ability to tolerate rare watering during the forced absence of the owners (for example, a business trip, vacation, sudden illness);
- irregular feeding should not significantly affect growth, development and decorativeness;
- undemanding to environmental conditions (air humidity, temperature conditions, illumination, drafts);
- high decorativeness and intense flowering in "Spartan" conditions.
Many will decide that such picky plants do not exist in nature, but this is not so. There are many large and small, shade-tolerant and light-loving, tree-like and climbing plants that can withstand the uncomfortable conditions of city apartments and modern offices with working computers and numerous staff.
The category of unpretentious home flowers includes both decorative deciduous and flowering plants, among which there is always a choice for a variety of tastes and preferences.
These are perennial indoor plants, in which a crown made of beautiful leaves of various shapes and original colors is a decorative element of decoration. Usually they do not bloom at all or their flowers are small, nondescript, and have no decorative value . In some species, the flowers are completely removed so that the energy of the plant is not spent on useless flowering.
Palm trees and large species
House palms in the apartment are associated with the moments of summer holidays on the seashore under a light breeze and a quiet whisper of waves. In spacious rooms, the exotic look of these luxurious giants easily fits into any interior.
A characteristic feature of all types of palms is a single growth point at the top of the plant . They are undemanding to care, but they do not like drafts and cold air currents when the room is ventilated in winter. It is more advisable to buy a palm tree in the spring or summer, so that it better adapts to the new home .
In addition to palms, indoor large plants include tall species of dracaena, monstera, Benjamin's ficus, fatshedera, some types of fern and others. A prerequisite for large-sized ones is a spacious room with a high ceiling, otherwise the crown will deform.
Curly shade tolerant
Indoor climbing vines can be used to decorate walls, hide an unsuccessful interior element, decorate an empty corner, or decorate a high stand. Decorative vines easily adapt to the microclimate of city apartments. The leaves have a varied shape, the color is pure green or presented in a combination of green with a white, cream, yellow tint.
Examples include varieties of indoor ivy, philodendron, cissus, passionflower .
All these plants have a relaxing effect, as they are capable of producing and releasing special substances into the air.
Translated from German, Ampel is a hanging flower vase, hence the name. Indoor plants of this species are grown in hanging containers . These can be pots, pots, flowerpots that are hung high above the floor.
Shoots of ampelous plants fall down, spread horizontally along the wall or twist up, if the space of the room allows. Ampel plants decorate door and window openings, arches, gazebos, verandas, balconies, loggias .
From a variety of shade-loving indoor plants, stylish compositions are made that can revitalize and decorate any room. Plants of this group are always in high demand among flower growers, because in a closed space, even on the light windowsills of the southern windows, the intensity of the luminous flux is several times lower than in the open air, and even at a distance of one meter from the window, the illumination is even less .
But there are varieties that grow without the sun, for which scattered light is sufficient.
They are able to grow well away from windows, in the shade and can even decorate a dark hallway. Among them there are both decorative deciduous and flowering indoor plants.
Blooming all year round
There are significantly fewer shade-loving indoor plants with beautiful full blooming than decorative deciduous ones. For a flower to form buds and bloom, it will need much more resources than to form a green crown without flowering.
It must be remembered that every flowering plant needs a recovery period and cannot always bloom continuously . But from several species, you can make up a spectacular set that will bloom on windowsills all year round. To do this, you need to select plants for which the rest periods do not coincide in time.
Growing in partial shade
The concepts of "shade" and "penumbra" are very relative for plants. If you move away from the window at a distance of 1 meter and continue to move deeper into the room, then at a distance of 3 meters the human eye will not feel a significant difference in illumination. But for plants, this will make a significant difference.
Knowledgeable florists use a simple proven method: if a newspaper text is easily readable at some position in the room at noon (with good eyesight), then at this place you can safely place pots with shade-tolerant flowers; if the text is difficult to read, then this place is not suitable even for resistant plant species.
Those indoor flowers that, in natural conditions, lived in places where the sun's rays rarely break through, and there is a constant partial shade, become shade-loving. Breeders have used this trait successfully.
In breeding work, they intensively developed the ability of new varieties and hybrids to feel good and look good in a lack of light.
Features of choice
The choice of plant depends on which species you like best and which are best suited to your conditions. There are several factors to consider:
- where it is planned to place a pot or flowerpot - on the windowsill, on the floor, on a shelf, on the wall;
- which side of the world the windows face;
- what kind of room it is - living room, bedroom, hallway, corridor, office.
If you cannot devote a lot of time and energy to caring for your mini-garden, you have not quite suitable premises for growing exotic flowers, then this selection of the most unpretentious indoor plants was created especially for you.
Let's start with flowering plants
- Anthurium (male happiness) … It grows slowly. The leaves are dark green, leathery, of various shapes (depending on the species). There are variegated varieties. The cob inflorescence is very beautiful, surrounded by a bright veil. It is considered a symbol of male energy, happiness and prosperity. In addition to symbolic attributes, it brings real benefits: it relieves fatigue and purifies the air, assimilating and converting into harmless some toxic substances that can appear in the air from modern finishing materials.
- Spathiphyllum (female happiness) … Very unpretentious. It will quickly recover by watering even from a neglected case. Glossy foliage and exquisitely shaped flowers, similar to white calla lilies, are a worthy decoration for any room. Peduncles are formed from a rosette of leaves and hold for quite a long time. Shade-tolerant, does not like excessive watering. It symbolizes a successful marriage.
- Calla Ethiopian . It has fragile stems and delicate white flowers. Blooms in November, flowering continues until May. In the summer months, calla lilies rest, at this time it is better not to touch the pot. Fluctuations in temperature, humidity and light have little effect on the condition of the flower. Can grow in partial shade.
- Pachistachis … A low bush with an original appearance with yellow flowers resembling candles. Spikelet inflorescence, dark green leaves. Blooms all year round.
- Begonia … It has many varieties with abundant flowering. The flowers are white, yellow, red, crimson, pink, but the most picky variety is the begonia with purple-red flowers. The leaves of begonias are of an original variegated color. It tolerates heat and coolness, but if it is very cold, it will not bloom. Prefers partial shade and high humidity. He does not like direct contact of leaves with water, so no need to spray. Need regular watering at the root.
- Saintpaulia (uzambara violet) . A popular plant, compact, easy to care for. Velvety leaves and delicate inflorescences of various colors are simply touching. It blooms on the northern windowsill, on a shelf near the window, in other similar places.
- Pelargonium (geranium) . The abundance of forms and the variety of colors of flowers amaze the imagination. Almost all florists have it in home collections. It has a specific smell, so you shouldn't keep this flower in the bedroom or in the nursery.
When choosing plants of an ornamental-deciduous group, an important condition should be taken into account: monochromatic green varieties grow more successfully than variegated species in high shade. To form a clear pattern on the leaves (chaotic patterns, specks, colored spots, winding lines), more light will be needed, otherwise the pattern becomes poorly expressed or completely lost .
- Aspidistra . An amazingly beautiful green plant with wide long leaves spreading to the sides. Grows in partial shade, does not tolerate direct sunlight. Ideal for those whose lifestyle is associated with frequent travel. Rare watering will not destroy the plant. For her special endurance among flower growers she was called the "iron lady". Resistant to cold, drafts, dry air and even atmospheric pollution.
Suitable for kitchens as well as offices and industrial premises.
- Japanese fatsia … It has large carved leaves, very beautiful, resembling chestnut leaves. This flower can be safely planted at home if you think that there is not enough light in the rooms. It grows well in partial shade and does not react to proximity to radiators, is useful for healthy sleep, and humidifies the air. A pot with fatsia can be placed in the bedroom.
- Sansevieria . Grows in partial shade. Ideal for beginner florists. Ornamental value - long erect leaves forming a dense bush. In colloquial speech, the flower is called "mother-in-law's tongue" and "pike tail". Some species bloom, but this bloom does not add decorative effect at all. It grows equally well in bright places and in partial shade, calmly tolerates temperature extremes and occasional watering.
- Dracaena … It looks like a palm tree. There are variegated and monochromatic green varieties of dracaena. If you choose a variegated variety, then you need more light to form a speck on the leaves. Green varieties grow successfully in light shade. Dracaena is a plant with a strong odor, you must certainly pay attention to this moment when choosing.
- Chlorophytum (sedge) . This plant can be safely called the most unpretentious. The narrow curved leaves are gathered into a beautiful rosette. Undemanding to light (reduces decorativeness only in thick shade), does not require frequent watering, tolerates dry air and high room temperatures, and is resistant to diseases.
- Hedera (indoor ivy) . Climbing ampelous plant. Fast-growing shoots fall from the hanging planter with an unusually beautiful "green waterfall". Decorate an empty space in the interior (wall section, empty corner). Not afraid of shade, temperature fluctuations, or occasional watering.
- Tradescantia … There are varieties with variegated and monochromatic leaves. Looks great as an ampelous plant in an elegant hanging planter. It is completely unpretentious, only timely watering is needed.
- Ficuses . Of the unpretentious, rubber-bearing and lyre-like ficuses can be called. Will easily fit into the interior of almost any style. Neutralizes harmful impurities in the air. It is necessary to periodically wipe the wide leaves of ficuses from dust and regularly water the plants, avoiding excessive dryness and waterlogging. Can grow in partial shade in the corner of a room or office, but away from radiators.
The group of succulent plants unites species that are capable of accumulating water reserves in plant tissues. There are many unpretentious indoor species among them .
- Aloe (agave) . Widely known for its medicinal properties, it is a typical succulent. In the old days, our mothers and grandmothers kept this flower in almost every family. The best place for a pot of aloe is a light windowsill or veranda. It's easy to look after him. The plant is known for healing properties for wounds and burns, with aloe juice it is treated for colds.
- Kalanchoe pinnate … This plant is planted not only for decorative purposes, but also as a medicinal plant. It grows slowly. We can say that it does not require any maintenance. Shade-tolerant, does not require frequent watering, tolerates temperature changes well. Its thick, fleshy stems and leaves are used in folk medicine to make homemade tinctures.
- Fat woman (money tree) . A large-sized plant from the genus of succulents. The decorative value is beautiful succulent leaves. Appropriately complements the interior of both home and office. It symbolizes prosperity and prosperity, although not all modern people consider this statement to be relevant. It does not require special care technologies, but you should not "push" the fat woman into a dark corner and overmoisten the soil.
- Cacti . From them you can make an interesting collection on the windowsill. The most unpretentious are small and spherical species. Cacti live a long time, with proper but simple care they bloom every year. Unusual flowers of various palettes are very beautiful and can surprise your guests a lot. It has been proven that cacti cleanse the atmosphere and absorb even radioactive elements from the air without harm to their development.
You can endlessly enumerate all kinds of unpretentious indoor plants, and they are all worthy of choice. With a minimal investment of time and effort, the green corner will become an original highlight in the interior, create additional elements of comfort and bring practical benefits to the microclimate in the apartment .
I must say that it is still not necessary to abuse the endurance of plants . For absolutely all of the listed plants, the simplest care will be required. It is not so difficult at least occasionally to wipe the leaves from dust, if they are wide, sprinkle with water, water in time, sometimes feed with complex fertilizers for indoor flowers, just inspect the plant for pests and diseases, remove dried leaves and faded buds from it, so spoiling appearance.
Try not to admit extreme situations, perhaps by force, and green pets will delight you with a healthy look and high decorativeness.
Large Indoor Plants (32 Photos): Tall Indoor Flowers And Large Plants Such As A Tree In Pots For Home
Large indoor plants: their features and the most popular types. How to choose tall indoor flowers and large potted tree type plants for your home? Where are they best placed?
Flowers In The Kitchen (41 Photos): The Names Of Unpretentious Kitchen Plants. What Indoor Flowers Grow Well In The Kitchen? Create Coziness With Artificial Flowers
Flowers in the kitchen are considered an original design solution. What do the names of unpretentious kitchen plants sound like? What indoor flowers grow well in the kitchen? Where are plant pots recommended? How to care for green kitchen pets?
Large Flower Pots: Sizes Of Chamotte Flower Pots For Indoor Plants, Pallets For Beautiful Glass Pots
The variety of large flower pots is simply amazing. Today there are simply huge sizes of flower pots intended for floor use. Is a fireclay pot suitable for indoor plants? How exactly should you choose them?
Floor Pots For Flowers: Choosing Large Flower Pots For Home Flowers. Tall Rectangular Pots For Indoor Plants In The Interior
With the help of floor pots for flowers, you can diversify the interior. What to consider when choosing large flower pots for houseplants and flowers? What material is preferable?
Flowers That Look Like Lilies (50 Photos): Small Indoor Flowers And Large Indoor Orange Plants, Yellow And White Garden Flowers And Other Options
What are the names of flowers that look like lilies? Where did small indoor flowers and large indoor orange plants come from? What are the recommendations for caring for these representatives of the flora?