2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
Orthopedic mattresses have long taken their well-deserved place among the best-selling and most useful sleeping accessories. Models made of latex or coir are especially popular with consumers. But not everyone can afford such mattresses. Therefore, in order to save the budget, manufacturers offer to replace natural raw materials with modern technologies and purchase an orthopedic mattress made of polyurethane foam.
What is it?
If we talk about production technology, then it may surprise many, because the basis of polyurethane foam mattresses is foam rubber . Having learned about this, most consumers abandon polyurethane foam in favor of other synthetic materials, believing that foam rubber is not at all modern technologies, and it no longer fits into modern life. But this is not at all the case. Modern polyurethane foam is fundamentally different from the foam rubber to which we are accustomed and often met in old furniture of the USSR times.
The new generation of foam rubber is created taking into account modern technologies and innovative developments that endow the material with new qualities:
Modern mattresses made of polyurethane foam have a long service life and can replace more expensive high-tech mattresses . Some foam models are produced with different degrees of rigidity on each side or combine the base material with raw materials of natural origin, such as coir or cork. This experimentation with fillers improves operational efficiency and extends product life.
Although PU foam is a fully synthetic material, it absolutely not hazardous to health, since it does not contain toxic substances . That is why it is often used in the manufacture of children's mattresses. For the filler, structural polyurethane foam is usually used, after it hardens, its structure changes and cavities are formed, filled with air.
Thanks to this airiness the material is resistant to decay and all kinds of bed mites, practically does not deform and does not react to changes in humidity and temperature .
In addition to the usual filler, there is a denser polyurethane foam, its price, respectively, is higher . It is based on empty cells of different sizes. They react differently to external influences, due to which the balance of softness and elasticity is maintained, and the necessary rigidity is formed. When choosing a product in a store, it is worth, first of all, to study its passport. Stiffness parameters should not exceed 32 kg per 1 m3.
As for the price, the lower it is, the less density and comfort . Considering that mattresses made of polyurethane foam are in the middle price category for their segment, then you should not save a lot on the purchase. Also, you should not purchase products with this filler for children under one year old, it will not provide the required degree of rigidity.
Despite the fact that polyurethane foam is airy, it must be periodically ventilated and cleaned with a vacuum cleaner . If a stain appears on the mattress, then it must be removed with the help of household chemicals as soon as possible. It is best to dry outdoors, avoiding heating devices and open flames.
Like other orthopedic products, polyurethane foam should be periodically turned over, changing sides. This is necessary in order to avoid the appearance of squeezed dents and maintain the orthopedic effect.
Pros and cons of the material
One of the main qualities of a polyurethane foam mattress is its orthopedic property and complete restoration of its shape after sleep. But there are other benefits that appeal to consumers as well:
- Good value for money.
- Resistant to decay.
- Absolute safety of the filler.
- No deformation and maintain efficiency with a long service life.
- Easy care with any available means (including water).
- Follows the anatomical contours of the body to help provide maximum muscle support and relaxation during sleep.
- Thanks to the correct support of the spine, it prevents stagnation of blood and improves its circulation.
- Preventing pressure sores. That is why such beddings are recommended for overweight people, bedridden patients or patients after surgery.
- Ease of transportation. If necessary, the mattress can be rolled up into a compact roll that fits even in a car.
But despite so many positive qualities, polyurethane foam filler has its drawbacks:
- Cheap models very quickly deform and lose their original appearance.
- They need constant care and cleaning.
- The service life is not more than ten years. After the specified period, the material collapses and loses its original orthopedic properties.
- The material is completely synthetic, so the question often arises - how can it be dangerous to health.
Types of mattresses and their characteristics
Like other orthopedic mattresses, polyurethane foam is divided into spring and springless:
- The first category includes independent spring blocks and continuous weave springs . Experts consider the first group to be more reliable and effective, due to the fact that the springs are independent of each other and provide better body support.
- Springless models are filled not only with polyurethane foam, but also with coconut and latex . There are models with polyurethane foam filler and one of the varieties of polyurethane foam - Memory Form, and there can also be mattresses with gel inserts. This material is also called viscoelastic polyurethane foam. A mattress with such a filler remembers the pressure of a person and repeats the shape of his body during sleep, and then slowly takes on its original form.
Also, polyurethane foam is divided by density:
- Soft (super soft).
- Very tough.
By size, polyurethane foam mattresses are divided into three main types: single, double, one and a half. Single and double options differ from each other only in size and have an increased density. These mattresses are considered the most practical models and are suitable for long rest.
Double models differ not only in size, but also in density. It can be different on both sides of the product, such models are considered two-sided. Some consumers replace one double mattress with two, the size of which will be 190 x 80 cm. This will allow each individual to choose the properties he needs, but in one bed. Another type of size is custom. Usually it is made individually to order for non-standard bed sizes, such as, for example, 60 x 140 cm.
In addition to the size along the perimeter, polyurethane foam mattresses are divided by thickness. The most demanded are products of 10 cm. They are made using a special technology, thanks to which the mattress can be washed.
In order not to be mistaken in choosing a mattress, it is better to familiarize yourself with customer reviews before buying. We have prepared an overview of the most popular models among consumers:
- IKEA. Buyers of polyurethane foam mattresses of this brand note the most important plus - this is the price . In terms of stiffness, consumers are attracted to tougher models. Although the most popular is Bedinge. This is a single-layer polyurethane foam mattress that is suitable for every category of buyers for daily use. The set includes a removable cover that can be replaced or washed.
- MATROLUXE. Ukrainian brand that has won the trust of buyers . Buyers note a long service life and no deformation, even on children's models, since the products consist of high-density polyurethane foam. The set also includes a removable cover made of 100% cotton. This will ensure complete hypoallergenicity and breathability. In addition, buyers refer to the pluses as a large selection of colors.
- Big Roll is a model that belongs to springless mattresses . If we compare the reviews, then many agree that such a mattress is suitable for those who are used to sleeping on a hard surface. The foam padding of different densities will provide back support, and the combination of wool and cotton between the padding and the top layer creates a winter-summer effect. When it comes to transportation, this rolled mattress can be carried from the store to the house in your hands.
How to choose the right mattress - in the fragment of the program "Life is great!"
Polyurethane Foam: Technical Characteristics Of Two-component Waterproof And Adhesive Polyurethane Foam
Polyurethane foam is an important material for filling voids, joints and cracks. What types and specifications are there? Where is polyurethane foam used? How to use polyurethane foam? What tips for choosing should you follow?
Promtex Orient Mattresses (43 Photos): Standard Series, Economy And Micro Package, Struttofiber Mattresses And Customer Reviews
Promtex Orient mattresses are modern mattresses for every user. What are the features of the products of the domestic company? Why are the Standard, Economy and Micropacket series attractive? What do the reviews of real buyers say about the quality and practicality of the brand's products?
Polyurethane Foam Mattress (45 Photos): Health Benefits And Harms, What Is Polyurethane Foam, Light Gray Polyurethane Foam Mattress, Reviews
Polyurethane foam mattress - advantages and disadvantages, health benefits and harms. What is PPU? Which filler is better: holofiber, latex or polyurethane foam? What types and sizes of polyurethane foam mattresses are there? Manufacturers rating. How to care for your mattress? Reviews
What Is A Polyurethane Foam Filler In A Sofa (37 Photos): Which Is Considered Better Spring Or Polyurethane Foam, Types For Sleeping, Latex And Flexoform
How to choose a sofa with good filling, what are its types for sleeping? What is PU foam filler in a sofa? Which filler is considered better: spring filler or polyurethane foam?
Harm Of Induction Cookers To Health: Is It Harmful To Humans? What Effect Do Stoves Have On Health And How Are They Dangerous?
Many modern consumers are confident that an induction cooker can cause significant harm to the body. Is it true, is it really harmful to human health?