2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
Built-in fireplaces first appeared in the homes of wealthy families in France from the mid-17th century. And until now, they retain their popularity due to their graceful shape and a hidden chimney, which allows you not to burden the interior with bulky details.
From the name it is easy to guess that built-in fireplaces are installed in a special wall or niche. Thanks to this, they can be given any shape (for example, a TV or a picture) and style.
Depending on where and how the fireplace is built in, its individual parts can have a different look and be installed in different ways:
- Firebox. Basically, it is one with the base, three walls and a vault. It can be fully integrated into the wall from three sides, but there are various options where the fire can be seen from two sides (for example, when the fireplace is part of a partition).
- The base of the portal is a platform resting on the ceiling, most often made of brick, stone or concrete. It serves as a safety zone in front of the firebox.
- Portal form. It usually has a U-shape. A rectangular or semicircular furnace niche will perfectly fit into a portal of this shape. In modern fireplaces, the shape of the portal can be completely different (for example, round, oval, have five or more corners). The portal can be floor-supported or wall-mounted. It is manufactured and sold separately as it is a standalone device. But there is an option of laying the portal during construction.
A built-in fireplace has a number of advantages:
- can heat several rooms at once;
- takes up little space;
- for installation, it is not at all necessary that the wall be thick;
- no need to build a foundation;
- operational safety;
- comfortable temperature regime;
- aesthetic appearance.
Such designs also have disadvantages:
- installation must take place during construction or overhaul;
- the chimney can reduce the strength of the walls, especially in models located in the corner of the room; to avoid this, you can choose a fireplace that does not require the installation of a chimney.
The wall where the structure will be built must be more than 60 cm thick.
Built-in fireplaces are:
Many people love wood-burning fireplaces for the sound of cracking firewood and the sight of a living flame, which creates a warm and cozy atmosphere. However, they are complex, making installation and use difficult and costly.
A fireplace, for which real firewood serves as fuel, necessarily requires a chimney. Installation of such a structure in apartment buildings often becomes not only very difficult, but generally impossible, especially if the apartment is not on the top floor.
When designing a chimney, not a single mistake should be made, since if improperly installed, smoke can go into the room, and not into the chimney.
In addition to a complex installation, the process of preparing a ready-made fireplace for use will be difficult: after construction, it must be completely dried. When using, it is necessary to regularly clean the chimney from ash. In order to avoid a fire, it is necessary that the firebox is always supervised. Good heating of the room cannot be guaranteed due to the fact that a lot of heat will go out into the chimney. You also need a place where firewood will be stored.
Gas type fireplace installations have many advantages:
- the process of installation and operation is much simpler than that of a wood-burning one;
- there is a possibility of temperature control;
- imitates a living flame, and to enhance this effect, you can put fake firewood made from a special non-combustible material into the firebox;
- does not require a chimney - the presence of a pipe will be sufficient to bring gas to the street or into a gas duct.
Mostly gas fireplaces are installed in houses with a central gas supply, however, installation with a gas cylinder is also possible.
When choosing a gas fireplace, it is important to know the following aspects:
- installation will require permission from the organization of the gas industry;
- installation can only be done by a highly qualified specialist;
- you need to additionally pay for the installation of a chimney or pipe for gas outlet;
- due to the fact that gas is an explosive substance, this type of fireplace, as well as fireplaces with wood fuel, cannot be left unattended;
- half of the heat will go out into the chimney or chimney.
If you do not want to worry about burning and where the smoke will go, purchasing an electric fireplace is the best solution. Its advantages:
- work from electricity;
- no additional settings are needed: just plug the plug into the socket and enjoy the sight of the flame;
- has an affordable cost;
- it is possible not only to change temperature conditions, but also to completely turn off the heating;
- does not require the installation of a chimney or hood;
- it is easy to care for it and does not need to be cleaned of soot or soot;
- safety in operation: an electric fireplace is no more dangerous than any electrical appliance;
- modern models have the ability to remotely control, which allows you to regulate the temperature without getting up from the sofa;
- can be installed both in an apartment and in a private house or any other room (for example, in an office or restaurant).
A wall-mounted electric fireplace can be installed both in a private house and in an apartment. This back-to-wall option is mostly flat and its panels are thin. The back wall is securely fastened to the wall. A wide variety of decor is used for the external wall panel.
The style of the fireplace should be chosen based on the overall interior of the room.
Decorating a wall with a fireplace with a stone to the ceiling will help to visually increase (or emphasize) the height of the room . Such a fireplace will inevitably become the center of the interior, so it is worthwhile to competently approach its design. The stone finish will be interesting to contrast with the wood, which will help to bring a "zest" to the interior of the room. The color and size of the stone can be absolutely any - it all depends on imagination. Moreover, such a finish will perfectly fit even into a modern interior, giving the room a cozy and warm atmosphere.
Modern fireplaces are more sophisticated. Basically, they are made in a minimalistic style, so they will not take all the attention to themselves, but only complement the interior. Most often they look like "plasma", but they can have different frames, mostly metallic shades. Such fireplaces look especially interesting against the background of light-colored walls. Also, an original solution would be to place a fireplace in the bathroom or dining room.
Decorating a space becomes much easier when you can position the fireplace wherever you want. A hanging fireplace will perfectly cope with this. They are also called "soaring", and for good reason: a fireplace hanging from the ceiling will add lightness and modernity to the room. Basically, they have simple "flexible" forms, but they can be originally fit into the furnishings, even a rustic style. The most important advantage of such structures is independence from the wall for its installation.
A metal fireplace is difficult enough to fit into the interior , if there are no other metal parts in the room, however, it will perfectly fit into an industrial-style room. This design will also look good in modern apartment or house designs. It can be interesting to fit into other interiors by adding overlapping elements of metal or metallic shade.
A wood-paneled fireplace can bring coziness to any interior. It will fit well not only in the rustic, but also in the modern design of the room, contrasting with the simple details. The combination of wood and stone looks good. It is worth knowing that for safety reasons, wood trim can only be used with electric fireplaces with a metal frame. Furniture must be chosen carefully. For example, wild cherry furniture will do.
Partitions are a common design trick, as they are great at helping to demarcate space in spacious, open-plan rooms. Basically, partitions separate the kitchen or dining room from the living room, but there are still a lot of options to highlight different areas of the room. For example, in spacious bedrooms, a partition with a fireplace can help create a secluded and romantic atmosphere. The most important advantage of such designs is the ability to see the flame from both sides.
The fireplace can be placed in the corner of the room . This arrangement will help to rationally use the free space of the room, since the corners are rarely used. This design is perfect for small rooms. In addition, an interior with a corner fireplace will be smoother. However, it is worth carefully considering the shape and design, since not all types of fireplaces can be easily installed in a corner. Such a hearth can be decorated in any style. A TV or a clock is hung over it.
Scandinavian fireplaces have a simple and laconic appearance, so the furniture in the room should be appropriate. They can be of completely different shapes and sizes, and, regardless of this, give the room a special look. They can also be made from different materials. Such designs, due to their shape, fit perfectly into the corner of the room. The most popular color for decoration is white, as it emphasizes the simplicity and "lightness" of such a fireplace. The wall and cabinet should not be bright. A wood-like decal can be used.
Tips & Tricks
To harmoniously fit the fireplace into the interior of the room, you need to take into account some aspects:
- for such a design to look aesthetically pleasing, the protrusions should not be conspicuous;
- the shade of the cladding must be selected so that it fits the overall design of the room and the color of the portal itself.
It is important to know that built-in fireplaces (especially those installed in apartments) may have furnaces not made of refractory bricks or stone, but of cast iron. Cast iron furnaces heat the room well, but they can dry out the air, therefore, in this case, it is necessary to carefully consider the ventilation system of the room.
Built-in fireplaces can heat several rooms at once (even if the model is not double-sided), if there is a convection system. You can stretch the air outlets into the room behind the wall and tile them.
You can greatly simplify the process of laying out if you immediately buy a ready-made set for fireplace chambers and use brickwork for decoration. Facing a fireplace in this way is not very difficult. Fresh flowers will look beautiful near it.
Eletctrolux Is a Swiss company with vast experience in the production of electric fireplaces. The manufacturer manufactures floor-standing, hanging, built-in and miniature fireplaces. Thanks to the wide assortment, you can choose a model that will ideally fit the desired interior. Electrolux also guarantees high-quality parameters for the safe operation of its products.
Alex bauman - a Russian company with a first degree diploma for the high performance of their products. The company provides the possibility of manufacturing a fireplace according to an individual order. A wide range of models allows you to choose the desired fireplace design for any interior style.
König Feuer Is an experienced Irish company that endows its products with quality and corporate identity, which consists in classic approaches to the production of products. König Feuer manufactures fireplace systems that can be fueled with wood, coal and peat.
ZeFire - Russian manufacturer of biofireplaces. A relatively young company has an individual approach to each order, which allowed it to break out in the top ratings of manufacturers. Their "trick" is that a whole group of designers works on each order, and the design of even the smallest details is agreed with the customer. The products of this company will help to bring to life even the most unusual ideas.
Ferlux - a Spanish company for the production of fireplaces and stoves, which has been able to establish itself thanks to its excellent quality. A huge plus is the ability to replace almost any part of the firebox.
Vesuvius Is a Russian company that produces excellent fireplaces and stoves for summer cottages and baths. Their products are made in a monumental and strong style, which does not always allow them to fit into a modern interior. However, in a large house or in the country, such a design will come in handy. Vesuvius represents a large range of models and a reasonable price.
The wall-mounted model is quite popular today.
Quite often, electric fireplaces are built into the wall. They look very nice and cozy.
The fireplace stove is perfect for a private home.
Solid Wood Furniture (108 Photos): Types Of Trees. Children's Furniture And Furniture Fronts For The Bathroom, Bar Counters And Other Furniture. Manufacturing Factories In The Russian Federation. DIY Making
What is solid wood furniture? What are its features, what types of trees are used for its production? What types of products are there, besides children's furniture and furniture fronts for the bathroom?
Art Nouveau Furniture (53 Photos): Antique And Modern Furniture For The Kitchen And Bathroom, Nursery And Other Rooms, Style Elements, A Selection Of Upholstered And Cabinet Furniture
Art Nouveau furniture is perfect for any room. Antique and modern furniture for kitchen and bathroom, nursery and other rooms will completely transform the interior and make it unique
Furniture From Plywood (50 Photos): Production Of Prefabricated And Other Plywood Furniture, Designer Furniture From Laminated And Unusual Furniture From Curved Plywood
Stylish and beautiful furniture made of plywood these days is capable of transforming any home beyond recognition - it fits into the interior in such an original way. How does the production of prefabricated and other plywood furniture take place? What types of such furniture are there?
Built-in Electric Fireplace (58 Photos): Electric Fireplace Built Into The Wall Or Furniture, Options With A Niche, Sizes And Design Examples
The built-in electric fireplace is often used in modern interiors. How to choose the right electric fireplace built into the wall or furniture? What niche options to choose for your home?
Veneer Furniture: What Is It? Colors Of Natural Veneer Furniture, Oak Veneer Furniture For Bedrooms And Other Rooms, Veneer Furniture Manufacturers
Furniture made of good quality veneer is difficult to distinguish from natural wood, and it costs much less. Veneer: what is it and how is it produced? What are the colors of natural wood veneer? How to choose oak veneer furniture for bedrooms and other rooms? Which veneer furniture manufacturers are popular?