2023 Author: Beatrice Philips | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-08-25 03:41
You can make the interior of a living room or hall in a house more interesting and extraordinary by using a detail such as a fireplace. On a frosty winter evening, coming home from work, it is so great to sit in an easy chair with a cup of fragrant tea, watching the living tongues of flame flare up in the fireplace. No other heating devices can replace the charm of its living heat.
Among the large number of various types of fireplaces, a special place can be given to a suspended one.
It was born in the second half of the 60s of the XX century to the French traveler and philosopher Dominique Imbert . In a small town in the south of France, he buys an old dilapidated house for modest money in order to create a workshop in it. But, as Dominic himself recalled, the building was so leaky that the snow was falling almost on his head. In order to somehow escape the cold and prepare food, the former student of the Sorbonne came up with the idea to make a fireplace hanging on the wall. The material was ordinary metal plates.
Many visitors to the home of the novice designer liked the original idea, and some of them even wanted to order the same product for themselves. Although this innovation was not accepted by a wide audience of consumers for a long time, in the 2000s, a pendant fireplace was still recognized as one of the most original and beautiful interior elements.
When choosing one or another method of fixing a fireplace, it is imperative to take into account its dimensions, configuration, the required type of fuel, the features and capabilities of the room in which it will be installed, the overall interior. The most important difference between this type of fireplace and other devices is its location, in which it does not touch the floor and is located on the chimney. Although its standard weight does not exceed 160 kg, the ceilings in the house must be very strong, since the entire mass of the fireplace structure will load them.
Given the method of mounting hanging fireplaces, they are divided into several types
- Wall . The name itself speaks about the location of the device. The most important thing is that the surface of the wall, on which the entire load will fall, is strong, perfectly flat and vertical. This option for hanging the fireplace is quite suitable for a room that does not have a very large area and will significantly save its owner the space in it. In addition, a riser is not required for such a device. The cost of manufacturing a wall mounted fireplace is relatively low, making it one of the cheapest. Fuel for it can be used in a variety of ways.
- Central , sometimes called island. Installed on the chimney, absolutely not touching any wall. For such a design, it would be useful to use a special screen made of fireproof glass, which protects the room from fire and ash.
- Rotating . An analogue of the above-described type of fireplace, equipped with an additional mechanism that allows the structure to rotate around its axis as needed. Using this mounting method may require equipping the space under the fireplace with a radius of at least two meters with thermal insulation material.
- Transforming . It is enough to raise the fire screen and the fireplace becomes open.
Before installing a pendant fireplace in the house, you need to decide on its shape and decide what kind of fuel will be used .
- Firewood . This type of heating material is considered the classic and most common. No imitation - both the fire and the crackling of the logs are real. It is better to use firewood in fireplaces installed in summer cottages and in private houses, since in order for the device to work in normal mode, a vertical chimney with a clearly established pipe diameter is needed. When using such fuel, the fire is, as a rule, open, and in order to avoid adverse consequences, all requirements must be observed when installing the fireplace, and it is strictly forbidden to deviate from them. So that the air in a room with a wood-burning fireplace is not too dry, it is better not to cover the space with fire with fire-resistant glass.
- Biofuels - ethanol, which contains alcohol. Its use allows you to install fireplaces in apartments of multi-storey buildings, since it excludes the appearance of soot, soot, smoke, does not require the installation of a chimney (its elements can be used only as a decoration), additional cleaning. The design of a pendant fireplace using ethanol is simple and it will not be difficult to assemble it yourself. In the hearth, there can be either one or several burners, giving a real flame, the intensity of which can be adjusted. In fireplaces operating on biofuel, there are special reservoirs for it. There is a slight nuance when using ethanol in fireplaces. The room will require an additional ventilation system, since as a result of the combustion of this fuel, a significant amount of oxygen is spent and natural ventilation does not provide proper air exchange.
- There are hanging fireplaces working using electrical energy … Since the type of device is a screen with a realistic flame depicted, then in this case a real fire will not please its owner. Naturalness is given to it by modern technologies, the effect of 3 D, 5D. Such a pendant fireplace looks better closed, since an imitation of a flame will be noticeable when open. It is often made in the form of a glass ball or box.
To ensure that the pendant fireplace meets the requirements of high temperature resistance and is not too heavy, it is manufactured using stainless steel and heat-resistant glass. Stainless steel is known for its strength, wear resistance, ease of maintenance, corrosion resistance, high temperature resistance. Fire-resistant glass can withstand high temperatures, does not crack from sudden temperature changes, and transfers heat perfectly. It is practically not subject to mechanical damage, is not afraid of the touch of burning wood, heated poker.
In addition, products made from it look quite graceful.
Pendant fireplace installation features:
- High ceilings and a significant area of the room (at least 25 square meters) are required. In a room where this rule is not followed, a hanging fireplace may not fit into the interior and spoil its appearance.
- Thermal insulation of the foundation and walls is optional.
- If the fireplace is not electric, there should be no intense air currents in the place of its installation in order to avoid the fire extinguishing or, conversely, its ignition.
- Supply and exhaust ventilation is required.
- Items located next to the fireplace structure must be made of fireproof material. All flammable items are located as far away from it as possible.
- For wood-burning fireplaces, the necessary detail is a chimney, the shape of which is determined by the taste and requirements of the owner.
- In the case of independent design of a hanging fireplace, it is imperative to take into account the thickness of the metal for the firebox. It should be at least half a centimeter. In this case, it is better to use a steel pipe as a starting material. In addition, it is necessary to correctly calculate the ratio of the volume of the furnace, the area of its window and the cross-section of the chimney.
Advantages and disadvantages
Due to the uncommon location hanging fireplaces have some advantages that outweigh the qualities of other designs .
- Relatively small size. This allows the device to be compactly located in a room even with a small area and save space.
- Easy to operate. As a rule, hanging fireplaces are not burdened with complex functions, and it is quite possible to handle them without certain skills and abilities.
- Ease of assembly. Such a structure is quite simple to mount, following the instructions. In addition, the simplicity of the pendant fireplace mechanism allows you to design your own version according to your own taste.
- Unusual design will add originality to any interior.
- Due to the peculiarities of the biofuel used, the fireplace does not require a chimney and its installation is possible not only in the house, but also in the apartment.
Of the minuses, one can name, perhaps, only the high price of the fireplace . The reason for this is the significant cost of the materials that go into its manufacture.
Harmony in the unity of style
In recent years, hanging fireplaces are becoming more and more popular in Russia due to their unusual appearance, compactness, and ease of use. However, when choosing the desired model, it is worth considering not only your own preferences and material capabilities, but also the style of the room in which the fireplace will be located. You can diversify it with some additional mechanisms and elements that harmoniously fit the chosen image of the room and give the fireplace a certain decorative effect. These can be lifting devices, a protective glass control system, a rotating pipe or furnace, removable parts, etc.
The use of materials such as steel and glass in the manufacture of a pendant fireplace successfully fits into hi-tech style … Having a bizarre shape of a triangle, drop, sphere, pyramid, bowl, embodying the wildest fantasies of the owner, it is he who can become the center of the entire interior. The rotating version of the fireplace can be supplemented with a waterfall, which will bring the observer's outlook even closer to wildlife, fire, and water. An interesting variant of the fireplace is an aquarium in which a flame sparkles.
The fireplace looks amazing, which has a smoke collector made of clean glass, which outwardly resembles a huge flask, or a large blinking fiery eye (inside the structure there is a device that opens and closes the fire).
The small dimensions of the pendant fireplace are ideal for minimalism style … A simple and concisely decorated living room or dining room will be very successfully complemented by an extraordinary design. The panoramic model will look especially interesting, the device of which allows you to see the flame from all sides. The configurations of the fireplace in these cases are assumed to be the most diverse.
Examples of using
- A round pendant fireplace brilliantly fits into a loft-style room. Calm colors and bright accents will complement the charm of the black steel fireplace design. The special atmosphere of the open space, the decoration of the walls with various textures with stones, the geometric correctness of the shapes of the furniture will be domesticated by the cozy charm and lively warmth of the fireplace.
- A distinctive feature of the modern Art Nouveau hanging fireplace is its tradition. The design has a minimum of decorative elements, flame force regulation, and a high level of heat transfer. The unit in this style will strikingly combine the classics of real fire and the original solution in the device.
Smoke Cabinet: Design For Cold And Hot Smoking, Hanhi Product, Electrical Cabinet, Smoke Generator For The Device
The smoking cabinet is a special design for hot and cold smoking. How to make it yourself? What is the special feature of an electrical cabinet? Why are Hanhi products in great demand?
Cast Iron Fireplace Insert (53 Photos): How To Do It Yourself, Made In Russia And Other Countries, Device And Principle Of Operation
What are the advantages of a cast-iron fireplace insert over other types of products, and how to do the installation and lining of heating equipment with your own hands? What is the difference between cast iron heat chambers made in Russia and other countries?
Dining Tables Made Of Solid Wood (57 Photos): Kitchen Sliding Table, Oval, Round And Square, Russian And Foreign Production, Made Of Pine, Hevea, Oak And Other Materials
Solid wood dining tables are very popular with many. Where is the best place to put a kitchen sliding table? What are the features of oval, round and square tables? How to care for solid wood tables?
Hanging Chair (101 Photos): Capsule Chairs And Rocking Chairs, Sizes And Examples In The Interior Of The Apartment, Hanging Hanging Chairs Made Of Macrame And Transparent
The hanging chair looks interesting in the interior and allows you to relax. Capsule chairs and rocking chairs are suitable for homes and apartments. Different sizes and examples in the interior of the apartment will help you choose the right option. What kind of chairs are there? What are their advantages?
Hammock Chairs: Hanging Wicker Swing Chair, With Fringe (macrame) And Other Options For An Apartment And A House. Hanging Stands
Hammock chairs are often used in the country. However, a suspended wicker or fabric swing chair can also be installed in an apartment. What models in the macrame technique with fringes do manufacturers offer? How can these and other options be useful for the home?